2006 2.7 dodge charger sometimes cranks but wont start

Asked by Feb 08, 2017 at 04:59 PM about the 2006 Dodge Charger RT

I have an annoying dilema,my 2006 2.7 dodge charger
cranks but wont start. If i spray a little starter fluid it will
turn on and run fine. But then if its parked for a little bit n try
to turn on ,will crank but not start. Sometimes i turn key n
no crank,ill retry n it will crank n start. I had multiple
misfires codes,i changed crank sensor. Checked
battery,starter n altenator n are good. When i changed
crank sensor,anti theft locked up,i had a beat up key. I had
new key cut and programed. I havent changed sparks plug
in a year,fixing to change them. Once turned on,motor runs
fines, i can hear fuel pump kick in but i figured it was ok
since it starts n stays on when i spray a little starter fluid. I
was told that it might be fuel filter, not sure what it can be ,if
anyone can help me ,i really would be very thankful. Thank

Sure sounds like the fuel filter, I would change it out. If you still have problems then the fuel pressure would have to be checked.

I checked with autozone n 2006 dodge charger doesnt have a fuel filter just the fuel pump with all attachments. Fuel pump looks good cus was replaced a year ago n i can hear it run n car continues to run after spraying little bit of starter fluid. Any other suggestions?

Unreal, Yea I just looked too and did not see a fuel filter. But I did see that there is a strainer on the fuel pump module assembly. But since you just replaced it a year ago, all I can come up with is you must run regular unleaded gas in it. So may want to try a tank of premium with some fuel injection cleaner mixed in.

Im going to change soark plugs,i know they have been there over a year n see if that fixes problem. But i have noticed that at first it would crank strong but not turn on n lately i turn key n silence,ill turn off key n re do n ot barely has power to crank but does crank n car turns on. Will bad spark plugs do this?

No the spark plugs would not. Sounds like the battery is getting weak. Should have the battery checked and the charging system checked to make sure it is charging properly.

Well i changed the engine coolant temp sensor, it was pretty bad. I have noticed that now in the morning or late at night car will crank but not start. Once its turned on ,it runs n turns back on great untill the next morning. I cleaned the throttle body well n noticed the harness to the throttle body was not plugged in tight,i pulled it out n car turned off, i snapped harness back on n fixed it where it snapped locked on. Now im getting codes p0221 n p2135 n lighting bolt light comes on . Cars running good but i dont know if cleaning throttle body would cause this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You got those codes because you unplugged the TPS while the engine was running. Just clear the codes so you have a clean slate.

Thank you,its cleared now. The only thing that i have now is that , feels like my car is human, lol because never fails ,at around 10 pm my car wont turn on,will crank but not turn on, its like 45 degrees here in Texas, not super cold and in the morning the same thing,wont turn on. I would spray a little starter fluid n car would turn on quick,now i notice that it takes longer to turn even after spraying starter fluid but once it turns on ,car will run n turn on easily throughout the whole day untill around 10pm its crazy

That almost sounds like a fuel issue. I would change out the fuel filter and see how it goes. Wonder if there is moisture in the gas. Could put some Isopropyl into the gas tank. Then may have to have the fuel pressure checked.

True, it does sound like its a fuel issue but i have noticed that the fuel pump works n turns on. Will try that gas treatment n see if it works. Thank you

Update* turns out it was the crankshaft sensor, as soon as i put new sensor ,car cranked easily n ran very good for 15 minutes then turned off by itself n hard to yurn on. Waited few minutes,cranked n started easily, has not turned off n starts very easily. Its been 3 days n so far working very well. Idk if the computer takes a few minutes to set everything cus after the 15 minutes its been working very well. Thans

But of course the crankshaft sensor...Lol...Gad you gotter!

i Have A 2006 dodge charger and it cranks but Do sent turn on.I have a new battery a new alternator and new starter and it does the same.I Got the code only for the coolant system that's it.It had to be something simple...right?help plz

I would ck the crankshaft sensor. Its easy to put on n it cost bout $20 , my charger did the same n it was the crankshaft sensor.