The hemi tick what is it?

20

Asked by Sep 02, 2014 at 09:39 PM about the 2006 Dodge Charger RT

Hi I just recently bought a 2006 dodge
charger with the 5.7 hemi engine. There a
sound in the engine that I didn't hear while
test driving the car. I heard that hemis have
a ticking sound mostly at idling. My makes
a ticking sound when idling but it makes a
loud clicking sound while driving which to
me sounds like a beat up Honda civic or
something that has a 4 banger engine
instead of a v8. The car only has 73000 on
it. my question is am I screwed? If not what
the cause and how much it cost to fix it?

10

Hello, I suggest that you have the engine diagnosed. This tick could be the single push rod could be faulty or a piston failure. Both a major damage theme. If you have a third party warranty, They will not pay if their rules are not followed. And you need to call them and find out what the rules are. Do not assume the reasonable thing to do is their correct way to proceed with a problem. Believe me, I learned the hard way. If you do have a third party warranty get on the phone now and ask any question of every situation you could think of for what will be covered. Serous Point: Know what a Break Down MEANS! Do not rely on Dealer or manufacturer steps to follow. So, again have it checked. Be proactive, or you may eat the repair cost. Anywhere from $1000 to $9000. That is the way my issue started. Final cost, out of pocket $8.053 or another car to buy. It was a Hemi as well. Warranty co refused to pay. The Reason is What a break down means to them only. The problem found to have been in vehicle when we purchased it. Do not wait for any maintenance issues to escalate. FYI: Just because your car is running now does not mean there is nothing to worry about. GET IT CHECKED. Caveat emptor.

60,315

First i would like to ask, how long you have you had the car?And Chasyn,is right,have it checked now,not later, win there is a hole in that hemi block,from a loose rod.

20

I think it been about three weeks. Yeah I thought so about having it checked and it didn't come with a warranty cause of it age so whatever it going to cost will come out of pocket. Damn dealer I thought buying the car at a big dealer would be safer than those Crap holes dealership

20

I have a Dodge charger a 08 with a high output it gave me that same problem with the engine the dealer said it's normal in my head I said this is a bunch of bull shit!!!

10

I bought my Challenger brand new last year, and when I was test diving it I was thinking this thing has a lot valve train noise. But I love the car and have been wanting one for many years, so I bought it anyways, and figured it was just some bad gas the dealer put in or that's just how these new hemis sound. It almost sounds like a lifter tick of some sort put the car will run its ass off and doesn't miss a beat, but there's always this thought in my head wondering what the hell, why does this thing tick like that. I've built many a engine, Chevy engines that is, and none of them have ever had this noise unless I was running a solid lifter cam, and even then those cams were quieter than the hemi in my car.

I have a dodge charger rt 2012 with 34k miles start to make a big weird noise the dealer tried to give me up three times and at the final they opened my engine replace the lifters and camshaft to try to stop my engine noise and now my car is a big shit. The arrigo wpb made a amateur job and i start to a fight with dodge because they did a shit job and now my car is making more noise also making a new noise when i put in drive position and factory warranty is a fake warranty because the dodge machanics does not know how to fix my car for two times and i start to think to sell it and buy a mustang again.

20

The Hemi is know for breaking exhaust manifold bolts which cause a ticking exhaust sound

10

I just had my engine replaced with a so called engine that had 33k on it I spent $6360 on it & I was driving why did it started making a knocking sound I just told it back to the people that put the engine in. This is not cool I'm pissed off.

10

My hemi in my 06 ram 1500 ticked for the longest, I simply changed the spark plugs, I put Bosch platinum preset plugs in the engine, low and behold started the engine the tick was gone! I thick the tick is some type of misfire in the cylinders. Good luck!

10

My hemi in my 06 ram 1500 ram ticked for the longest, I simply changed the spark plugs, I put Bosch platimuns preset plugs in the engine, low and behold the started the engine the tick was gone! I think the tick is some type of misfire in the cylinders. Good luck!