Blower motor issue causing trouble.

40

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 09:00 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Hi, i have a chevy malibu 2012 which
apparently bought in august 2011.
Now, all of a sudden my blower
motor started making noise and than
stopped. It only has 65k kms on it. I
heard that a lot of malibus had the
this problem and it was the exact
same issue as mine. In fact GM had
a recall on this issue well, however
When i went to Wheaton Chevrolet
their service advisor bluntly refused
to handle that issue despite low kms.
Thats really frustrating. Can anyone
advise?

235

I'd start by checking the blower fuse and relay. Remove the fuse and replace it with another one. A diagram of which fuse and where it is located should be in your manufacturers owners manual. I highly recommend the website: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/ The resistor or blower motor control module is probably your problem. When you replace the component, take a good look at the connector you take off and make sure there are no signs of overheating the connector, like burnt spots. Autozone has the part and at the bottom of the page is a diagram on the location of the part: http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c- heater-blower-motor-resistor/duralast-a-c-heater-blower-motor- resistor/chevrolet/malibu-lt/2012/4-cylinders-0-2-4l-sfi- dohc/200929_0_0_8531/

40

I really appreciate you taking time and responding to my question. I was hoping that GM team would respond, but I was probably expecting a lot from Them. Anyway, yes, i've checked all of that and there's nothing wrong but the blower motor it's making some wierd sound too. Fuse, resistor and connectors are all in place without any issue. When i actually knock underneath my dash motor starts again. So i am pretty sure that it is nothing else but the motor itself.

235

Sorry to hear that. If it is still under warranty, I'm guessing it's not, I'd take it to another GM dealership (Buick, Cadillac) to have them work on it. I have not replaced one on a newer model and always use an aftermarket product for something that is so new that it needs to be replaced. My 2010 Malibu will be my last Chevy because of things like this and the difficulty in dealing with GM dealerships.

40

Actually it's not just over by 4k. To be honest with i was so firm after my last one that i wont go for it but dont know what went wring with me that i agai

40

Actually it's not just over by 4k. To be honest with i was so firm after my last one that i wont go for it but dont know what went wrong with me that i again went for another chevy but i am firm niw that it is going to be my last. GM dealerships and their customer service really sucks!!!! Japanese and Germans are the best in my opinion.

60,225

The bearing in the blower motor is bad,this is what the recall was about.

40

Than how come they refused to entertain my issue? Any idea?

60,225

Sunny,that is a good question,did you receive a recall notice?And some time,s there is a time limit on these recall,s,and if not done in a certain time ,the dealer will not cover the cost.

40

Nope, i never received any auch notice from GM. However, i did hear that there was a recall for the blower motor but mine wasn't. How come mine wasn't, despite being the same year?

60,225

Lot,s of time,s certain car,s are over looked by the recall,s,and would probably explain why you did not recieve one,dealer,s have a list with vin number,s to go by on the recall,s,and if your vin was not on there,they will not cover it,yes this is not fair,but this happen,s alot,

50

im having the same issue with my 2010 ltz 3.6l (ly7) malibu. its a short,the blower would work, then stop, then work, it stopped for a good long minute one day so i started beating around close to floor board got so sick of it i hit the blower motor control knob out of anger then wala! started working, thinking the short is somewhere in the climate control box, maybe a bad ground or something?

50

i have a 2011 chevy malibu ltz ive owned since new, i have went through 3 blower resistors since 65,000 miles, and it only has 100,xxx miles on it now, today i put a new blower resistor in and it lasted about 10 minutes, i have no idea whats going on, any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated, And you can run a 12volt jumper wire to blower motor and it kicks on.

10

*Fuses* I had the same problem. 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 3.6L New fuses fixed it for me. I fixed several problems by changing fuses in this car. It's worth a shot.

10

I am finding this all amusing *not* as I'm sitting at the dealership costing me 250.00 to fix this very problem

10

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu LT V6. I bought this vehicle brand new, and it now has 93,000 miles and is paid off. My 100,000 warranty expired May 7, 2016, and I have now been informed by my mechanic that it has 2 cylinder heads that have low compression (which was making my engine knock). To replace these 2 cylinder heads, it is the same price it will cost me to have a used engine put in!! How much you ask???? $5,000!!!! I have had noting but problems with this car!! From having to have my driver seat replaced thee times due to it getting a tear in the same place, my locks going crazy and having a mind of their own, to a small leak in the transmission that had to be fixed, and now this!!!! I will never buy another Chevy!! They don't stand behind their product, the service team sucks, and they don't build quality cars! Moving forward Japan will be getting all my money, at least when it comes to vehicles!!!

does any of you that own a chevy Malibu have issues with getting light headed and drowsy also like tunnel vision when only driving as I own a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu and nobody can seem to find this issue

see if you can buy a Carbon monoxide detector for your car. there are ones that you can purchase and they just stick on your dash - they change color if it detects carbon monoxide. (we use similar one in aircraft.) they are about 10 bucks