Asked by Mar 29, 2012 at 07:14 PM about the 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS FWD

Test drove a brand new Sonata (600 miles) and the steering wheel and car seemed to wonder all over
the lane I was in.  My 2003 Elantra with 48k does not act like that!  Needless to say, I didn't purchase
the car I had planned on because of this problem.

there is a huge difference between the 2 vehicle you mentioned. the new sonata you test drove has electric power steering versus the hydraulic power steering on your elantra. the elantras steering is designed to have what is refered to as automatic return on the the steering. in other words the steering wheel wants to center itself or go straight as much as is possible. the sonata has no function that does this. many people that purchase these vehicles come in with the same complaint that you have. its not broken.... it just is what it is. you were very wise not to purchase it if you werent happy. ive been a hyundai brand technician for 11 years and hold the highest levels of certifications currently available, but i cant fix whats not broken. too many people buy into a salesmans ploy of youll get used to it or it just needs adjusted to you.

Who wants to buy mt 2013 Hyundai sonata? The steering is a life threatening hazard. Unacceptable, now I read uncorrectable. Could I put in the two year old steering system?

Thank you James. Your answer is very helpful. I did get use to my new sonata. I have 40 year experience has a driver so I guess I'm use to adjustment to vehicles. Like you said don't buy it if you are not comfortable.

im glad to hear that youve adjusted to it. it takes some time. ive taken several of our loaner vehicle to out of state training and it is a very different feel from "traditional" power steering. but its appearing on more and more vehicles so its probably here to stay. i hope you get many good years from your hyundais!

James isn't the reason the steering returns to center the positive castor angle of the steering system? Are you telling me that the Sonata does not have a positive castor angle?

The 2013 Sonata does have a 3 position software switch the dealer can change to fix your steering problem. I went from pos #1 to #3. Drifting problem gone.

Don't buy into Hyuundai saying it is not a real problem. I bought a 2013 Sonata and forced them under TN Lemon Law to buy it back. The car is a danger on the road to you and all drivers around you.

guys the simple solution to this is just to increase the caster, it works on any vehicle regardless of the steering system. unless the rear end is way out of alignment or has something loose. i have built everything from sand rail drag cars to land cruisers and big rigs. I too own a 2013 sonata and i love the steering on it, right off the lot i found it to be tight and smooth. we even used one for a police EVOC and it performed excellent. it sounds to me that these cars that are wandering need an alignment and some geometry adjustment.