What could cause #2 cylinder to misfire on a 2010 vw Tiguan.

60

Asked by Apr 30, 2015 at 06:06 PM about the 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion

68,895

Bad coil or plug,or even may be a bad fuel injector.

1,525

Sometimes a broken breather valve causes misfire in the 2.0T, too.

60

The car runs fine, the engine light is on and a diagnostic machine at advanced auto says it is a misfire.

68,895

If car run,s fine as you say,the ECM,may be holding and old code and need,s resetting.

1,525

Reset the light and see if it returns.

10,525

Have the coil packs checked i have seen alot of coil packs go faulty in the second cylinder on these tiguans I actuly jsut recently answered a question regarding the same issue and turned out his coil pack was bad.

70

Could be an early sign that cylinder 2 is badly damaged and you might have to recondition engine. This is what happened to me recently. It sounds like a common problem with the TSI engines. I am wondering if there are claim against VW for such problems? My costs is about R63000 ($6000) repair work.

70

here is a photo. VW quoted me a new engine. The engine price was more then I paid for the car?

70

Photo

80

Hi guys, I have a similar problem of misfire, took the car in and they reckon they found out Cylinder 4 misfires, what can you advise I do...

10,525

Take the coil out of 4 and stick it into 5 and see if 5 starts missfiring If it does replace the coil thats faulty

80

Actually that was done and still misfiring. Sorry It is a Tauran 1.4TSI.

80

The problem of misfiring on my VW Tauran is more in the morning when I start the Engine. The car shakes more during this time and them get better as the engine heats up. Please advise cause.

10,525

have you tried replacing the spark plugs ? when were they last changed?. also check your wires leading to the coil for signs of ware and tear. I would get some plastic line covers and put them on each of the wires to the coils. It reduces chances of spark off the wires threw the insulation to near metal points. Its one thing i constantly battle during damp weather especialy when i used to drive my safari. During the night and when it was damp you got a preaty light show with the dog house off.

30

Actually I have a vw touran fsi and it has a similar problem to noel's. The car at cold start every morning it misfires and sounds like pistons are hitting the cylinder head like 4 to 5 times as the car warms up then it stops. Plugs are very new. What is the issue

10,525

if you have been reading the posts most of them indicate either a coil issue or a bad cylinder. This is a comman issue with most tiguans and it makes me wonder why they have not fixed the issue and have not been sued by tons of people yet for the garbage they put in these things.

Coils, injector, or sadly haldex coupling

5

Bad coil, just replace the plugs and Coils. All my German cars have had this issue. My Audi A4, Passat and Tiguan. Not a big deal.

10

I have 60000 km on my Tiguan with the same problem on number 2. I reseted that one and working well for now. I did the VW oficial 60000 km maintenance with sparks plug changed at 58000 km.

2011 tiguan 4wd turbo. Was perfect. Then instantaneously began at startup. Codes "engine Missing". Says "engine lean". Plugs and coils ok. Weak below 3000 rpm, better when above 3,000. HELP PLEASE.

10,525

try changing the plugs perhaps ? other wise i would say cylinder 1 may be losing compresion. compresion test will show that.

General misfire multiple cylinders. Coils and plugs ok, replaced. Problem started instantaneously upon engine start. No prior complaints.

2011 Tiguan running in puke mode, see above. Just happened out of a clear blue sky, was perfect, no warning. Happened at startup. HELP PLEASE. No VW dealers for 100+ miles.

10,525

most issues can be looked at from carbon build up or injector issues. Try having the car scanned and see what codes pop up if you get an injector code repalce it. if its jsut misfires have the cylinders looked at with a cam scope its likely going to need a decarbening. for any other help to this isue try this web site i found it might help. https://shopdap.com/carbon-build-up-and-cold-start-misfires-on-2-0t-tsi/ Also try searching for a vw/audi specialist or some one that works on european cars they will likely have the right tools to help you out.

2010 Tiguan has the same problem. engine light flashing and car shaking when cold starts. when the temperature goes up, it works fine. My VW dealer kept me in and out for over two months. Their reports say they swap cylinders and replace plugs (also told me did decarb), but problem still exists and get even worse. Finally the manager told me the problem was caused by me because I didn't use the good quality gas.... don't know what to do now.

10,525

if the problem has persisted after all that I would have a compression test done. In thier reports did they mention an injector replacment? In my experiance the VW service techs are hit and miss i have had ones that know exactly what makes your car sick others could not know the other end of a dipstick if it bit them in the ass. If they have not replaced or even checked the fuel injectors have them do so. and for referances i would check out this link as it seems a good source of infomation... http://shopdap.com/fuel-injector-failures-on-volkswagen-2-0t-tsi/ .... as for using improper gas only ruins things like fuel filters and injectors. and as far as i know the later modal vw's can use the cheaper gas i know this for a fact cause i used it in my vw with out issues vw even tells you you can and should use the lower quality gas in your car. if the manager came out and said this it means they are getting tired of you coming back just keep on them eventualy they will do repairs and replacements to humor you. I went threw the same issue with my power steering pump. I Knew exactly what the issue was and they kept flat out refusing to look into it. My car froze during cold weather and the power steering pump broke all the fins off. went without power steering for nearly 3 months cause they refused to repalce the pump till eventualy they relented did the replacement to make me happy and get me out of thier hair. so just keep on them and mention the injectors next time your in. hope this helps cheers

10

Ohh man, i had the same problem with the power steering pump and told me that it is normal. After 30 min into the garage it was fix by itself and i have not had that problem yet for now.

10,525

well for me that problem happened only because the fluids in my car were at a consitance of 50% water and the tempature hit past -30 degrees C. this happened like 2 weeks after i bought the car and this was from a registered VW dealer.. I told the dealer that i wanted all the fluids changed before i even bought the car and they never did so you can understand the frustration on that one. I had to take it back to the dealer cause the car ended up being so bad that it almost blew up the engine. When i took it in they said i had a block of ice 2 inchs thick in my oil pan I was not impressed. they even tried to charge me for an oil change at this point but i flat out refused to pay and made them pay for it because they should have known better. they even went as far as to blame me for it. In the end over 1 years time they spent 11,000 on that car before i got rid of it because of that debocil. During that first month i had things like my fins of my blower motor snap off, the power steering blew the fan blades off, blocks of ice in the engine vacum pumps exploding was not a good time. so I would suggest if you drive in cold weather keep an eye on those fluids and have them changed if they start getting a higher then 25% consitance of water in it. Cause even my brake fluid was almost water at that point.