I'm considering this vehicle....Please tell me the need to knows about the gas, maintenance & repair.

280

Asked by Oct 17, 2014 at 11:01 PM about the 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged

32,925

I've had 4 Jag's. Loved them all. The XFR is one that if I was back in the states I would get. Jag's can be a crap shoot. Do your homework. Have it looked over. And if you get the green light go for it. I understand that they can get 25 MPH on the highway.

280

What do you mean by crap shoot? What things do I need to look for?

32,925

Jaguars and Jaguar owners are a special breed. Years ago Jaguar had it's problems. Mostly due to the wiring harness. Lucus made it as well as as refrigerators. Both products had quality issues. They say because Lucus made the refrigerators that's why the British drink warm beer. So that's why it is important to do a maintenance history check. A Carfax check. Talk to the previous owner if you can. Have a competent, independent inspection done. If everything checks out go for it. Look around. A Jag will never be mistaken for any other brand of car.

280

Yes the carfax shows one owner, corporate owned had all service done at jag on time. I do have an 07 Chevy Tahoe LTZ that I died for in March so I won't be driving it every day. I was deciding between it and my dream car the Mercedes CLS or S500 but the Jag stood out by far since it's not a car I see everyday in passing.

32,925

You and I have very similar tastes. There's nothing like a Jaguar. Just be aware of your speed. You'll find yourself doing 90 MPH thinking your doing 60. :-) Enjoy.

280

BoholMark....i noticed that on the test drive...it purrs like a big cat

280

Do you have any idea of the common issues? All I could find was something about the battery being dead.

32,925

None that I am aware of. The engine is "Bullet Proof" the transmission is time tested. I don't have a crystal ball but from what you have told me I think you have found a gem. And since it's going to be a 2nd car it should see you years of fun and pleasure. BTW should you ever have a long road trip....... take the Jag.

280

How long is the transmission due to last normally?

32,925

Do a transmission fluid flush every 30000 - 35000 miles and 200000 miles is not out of the question. This is true of most quality vehicles. I had a Mercedes with 245000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still the original transmission. BTW how many miles on the Jag?

280

90k

32,925

Whom are you buying it from? A Jag dealer? What is the selling price compared to the KBB price.

280

I'm getting it from a non brand dealer ...i use NADA that's what the banks use the 23,475 - 26,800 ....i got it for 23k.....my loan officer said it was good deal.

32,925

WOW! That's a good deal! Like I said, your going to love driving it. I bet you'll find excuses to take it for a ride. :-) What color is it? What color is the leather? I'm a little jealous.LOL. Please forgive my late response. I am retired and living in the Philippines. We're 10 - 13 hours ahead of the states and I feel asleep.

280

Yes I know I am going to love it. ...It's black I wish it had the peanut butter leather but it's beige inside

2,035

The price is fair, but it is a bit of a high milage car, probably alot of highway driving. Jaguar fixed the electrical problems when Ford had brought them in the early to mid 2000's. Now, they are owned by a company from India called Tata motors but still based in England. No known common problems with this generation of Jaguars. They are well built and great running cars. The only thing I would be concered with are things that normally wear out with almost all cars at around 110,000 miles give or take some, That would be things like the altinator, fuel pump, starter, water pump, brakes - things like that. If its not your evey day driver you can take your time fixing things as they or if they wear out. If it is a every day vechicle I would be looking at a car with less miles, maybe 70,000 or less, but thats me. Either way, Jaguars are a head turner.

Best Answer
280

Thanks Steveq.....i was deciding between the XF & the Mercedes CLS! I love the Jag & always it's gadgets plus the way it purrs! 70k I wish but it was a corporate owned car only one owner and has all the service records.

2,035

and yes you should always use premium gas in a Jag. especially the R model. R is the Supercharged

280

This is just the XF it isn't the R....but it still says burn premium

2,035

Gosh, what a tough choice. The CLS is also a awesome car.

280

The Jag won me over because of the yr, the look, the gadgets inside, and it's rare I don't see alot of them.

2,035

Its true you don't see as many, I have a 07 XJ also rare and still get many complaiments. XF is more modern and sporty I would love to have one. Just notice there is a supercharged and a XFR - back in the day, they just had a XJR that was like a supercharged turbo

32,925

Steve, The Jag is super charged. That's a belt driven compressor that runs directly off the engine. A turbo, on the other hand, is also a compressor but driven off of the exhaust system. Two propellers. One being spun by the exhaust fumes and on the other end of a shaft is a propeller that blows air into the engine. Both accomplish the same thing. More air/fuel more power. Just two different ways of doing it. The Jag uses a Super Charger. It's a little more effective and a little less complicated. The "R" indicates that it is Super Charged.