Car completely losing power while driving

165

Asked by Feb 03, 2015 at 11:54 AM about the 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

While driving I lose all power. No warning lights, no check engine. Outside lights go off as well. Sometimes it turns itself back on quickly, others I have to restart the car. Was happening when slowing/coming to stop but now happening frequently and while driving. Replaced a sensor on the battery wire as that's the only code it threw, still doing it and now showing no codes. Car has been in the shop three times and Nissan cannot find the problem.

58,505

Check the fuel pressure?May be fuel pump,

33,605

I would try replacing the Crank Position Sensor. There are a lot of complaints with your model not starting. Check out this forum: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/nissan- altima/TEUIGP0N4PCM77QLD/p4

165

The car starts and restarts fine. It is shutting off while I am driving it.

10,120

there should be some engine codes stored in the computer, have it scanned

25

your Altima should be still under warranty, go to the dealer it will be free

165

In regards to the last two responses: 1. It has been hooked up to a scanner, no codes come up. 2. It is at the dealer. They cannot find the problem and have had it a total of 15 days over the past month. Total of three different times being in their service department.

10,120

If every thing is going off, it could be losing ground somewhere.

40

Did you ever figure out the problem? My car shut off yesterday while driving. All lights went out and I lost all power. I have a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5S

165

I needed a new positive battery terminal and a new battery.

40

thank you!

220

Wow....my Ford Explorer did the same thing....from another thread on this website under "loss of power while driving." I was able to find out that it was the throttle body assembly, after several trips to the dealership without an explanation as to what was wrong with it. Maybe it is the same issue with the Altima. I have not had any problems since I had it replaced. My car was less than 3 years old when it happened. It was built in 2011 as a 2012 model. It makes me wonder who is manufacturing these parts???

I have a 1999 mazda esmy car loses power

10

I have a 2012 Altima and it has done this twice over the last 2 weeks. Just talked to my dealer and they claim they have never heard of this happening.

165

I needed a new positive battery terminal and a new battery

33,605

Jeanne, your dealer is lying. The stall issue on the Altima is a known failure. I have read many posts and threads on this issue. I have not found any common fix. People have replaced all the sensors to having the car reprogrammed. Problem still persists. I would trade the car in. http://www.carproblemzoo.com/nissan/altima/car-stall- problems.php Or you can try the usual parts. The crank sensor, MAF sensor, and cam sensor. There was a recall for the '02 Altima for a faulty crank sensor. You can give the dealer your VIN # and see if your model has any recalls. If your check engine light is on, have the codes read. That should narrow down what part has failed. Typically the check engine light does not illuminate with this stall issue. I believe that there will be a class action lawsuit against Nissan for this issue. It is very common. Kind of like the newer Camrys and the oil consumption issue that Toyota has failed to recall.

Did anyone ever figure out what's causing this issue? I've started to have the same issue with my 2012 Altima and my research shows that this is a very common problem, but I called Nissan and they "have no knowledge of this issue". Yea right. I'm taking it to the dealership today but the check engine light isn't on and the battery/alternator are fine. Any suggestions?

220

I've never read about this problem with an Altima, BUT, for my ford explorer, it was the throttle body assembly....had it changed and has not happened since. The dealership also acted like they didn't know what was going on....complete cover up by Ford!!!!! They do know what causes the problem...they are covering the replacement on the Ford Edge, I believe, but since I don't have that model, I had to pay out of pocket....almost $600....just to find out that my son could have changed it for about $100....not happy with Ford right now.

33,605

I'll just sit back and wait for you to have your own reality show first. I wanna see how it works out for you. Maybe you and Honey Boo Boo can team up together and have a battle of wits. Should be priceless.............

I don't have a Nissan, but my Honda did the same thing for a while. Bogged down to the point that sometimes it would die at an idle. I ended up changing the plugs, plug wires, distrbutor cap and rotor, and cleaned the throttle. Ended up being the EGR valve. Literally put hundreds of dollars and 15+ hours into this car over the course of 5 weeks, and it was a $100 and 15 min fix. Just throwing that out there.

2013 altima lose power and battery and brake light come on. Replaced battery, cable and alternator still same problem