why does my 95 cirrus just shut off while driving then it takes anywhere from a couple hours to a day to restart? changed the ecm computer and still stalls and checked the alternator which was good

160

Asked by Apr 21, 2012 at 06:16 PM about the 1995 Chrysler Cirrus 4 Dr LX Sedan

13,365

This could be any number of things. Did you try to see if it quits if you just let it idle? Does it just quit all of a sudden or is there any warning? Do you have a check engine light? When it starts back up does it run smoothly?

160

it does shut off sometimes while its idleing.....there is no warning when its gonna shut off the car runs so good when its running and it just shuts down like you turned the key off there is no engine light that comes on and after it sits for a while which could be anywhere from a couple hours to a whole night it will start up again and run perfect and smoothy again

13,365

I'm leaning towards ignition issue. One way to eliminate ignition would be to run car till it stops. Have someone help you with this. Remove the intake cover and while someone is attempting to start the car spray a little starting fluid into the intake. If the car fires you have just eliminated the ignition system and narrowed it to fuel system. You can repost with results to take it from there if you want.

160

i dont know...reading all the posts with people that are having the same issue with the same yr car there are so many things that people have done up to spending thousands with no real results some say its the ecm which i replaced some say the fuel pump some say the distributer or the map sensor or the crankshaft sensor well you get my drift...why dont someone know exactly what the problem is i dont get it with so many people having the same problem??

13,365

That's why anytime you have a non-starter you want to narrow it down to fuel or ignition right away. This eliminates almost half of the system right off the bat. Too many times people just play the "Replace and See Game" this is not only unnecessary, but costly, as you mentioned. It is usually difficult to trouble-shoot from a written description. That's why sometimes it's easier to look for what the problem isn't until you have it down to a manageable few items. Also many times it's more effective to trouble shoot by asking many questions than simply to rattle off possibilities.

160

so what would be my next move besides replacing the ecm and checking the alternator which i have done??

13,365

The ECM controls fuel and ignition so I would give the test I mentioned above a try and see what you get.

160

run fast away from this car nothing but a headache my mechanic couldnt find my stalling problem checked the alt replaced the ecm computer and checked a whole mess of other things....the car is a lemon...95 chrysler cirrus......besides my stalling problem i had an oil leak had to replace the whole steering rack bad front struts..this car is a nightmare...sold it even with all these problems i owned it for 3 months and took half of what i paid for it just to get rid of the headaches.....never again will i buy a chrysler product!!

20

I had the same problem Sudden Death Syndrome. It turned out to be the crank position sensor. It was tough to remove. But a new one fixed the problem.

10

i had same problem with my car took it and got it fix, it was wiring harness and fuss panel

20

I have the same problem but when I spray starting fluid in it it try,s to start and when I actually get it started I have a miss it seems like I have new distributer wires plugs egr all kinds of things what could be my issue ??

100

How do you tell if the ecm is bad

Best Answer Mark helpful

Crank shaft position sensor or wire..had to have a diagnostic run to find it

I have a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus that keeps stalling while coasting/ ideling. No sign just shuts down. Sometimes it takes a couple minutes to start and other times a day. I had it diagnosed and it came back my Ecm was bad, replaced it ran great for 4 months, now stalling again. Has anyone figured out this problem?

Battery has to be putting out all the amps it needs make sure to test it first..

Have a 96 Cirrus. got it a year ago off of a 95 year old lady with 22,000 miles on it. After 6 months it shut off at a red light.Started a couple days later run for a day shut off going down highway, changed ecm no start, changed crank sensor( no fun) started up and has be running great got 32,000 miles on it now.

10

I have a 97 cirrus lxi 2.5L. don't know if these other Cirrus' were six cyl.? anyway, started when I was on freeway, could not restart for several minutes, happened twice. now when I stop at light or sign, it may die, but starts back up immediately. talked to auto parts store guy who suggested it was lower crank sensor or distributor wire connections. told me to make sure connections were all tight and without wear. have not done this yet. did notice that when I am stopped, idling, the RPM's go down below the idle point-down to 500 or so? have not seen how low it is when engine dies at stop? Will let you know after checking the above sensors what find out. Car runs great otherwise. Did have a tran solenoid module replaced when car was not shifting sometimes. fixed issue.