Was curious as to what size tires give you a smoother ride. Took the Limited for a ride an could feel every bump. So then I started looking at the Sonata. I noticed they have 18" 17" and 16" tires?

275

Asked by Nov 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM about the 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited Sedan FWD

So the more inches the better or not. . . does the ride have anything to do with smooth ride or is
it the suspension system??

noooo, do not stray from the size indicated on your door threshold~ it is this way as the "engineered size" other sizes will make the vehicle NOT behave like it was designed for~ you could simply let some air out of the tires for a softer ride~

must be a way to reprogram the VSS for the larger size...this way the speedometer will not get you in trouble for speeding~...accurate toll on the engine cannot be measured if the mileage is off...if you know of a way to reprogram the VSS.....knock yerself out~

275

No I mean when buying a car is it better to get model with 16" 17" or 18" tires for smother ride or is it the suspension system that makes the ride not as bumpy??

7,810

It is the suspention and the type of tire that is on it. Some tires have a harder side wall and that will give you a stiffer ride.Stay away from Michilen tires get more mileage from them but a rough ride

7,810

All so Remember the shorter the side wall on a tire means a rofer ride

7,810

My 2013 Chevy equinox has the 17" tires but they have high side walls on them it rides nice

7,810

They are Goodyear tires that came with it

1,185

All good answers, but I think a key thing was missed. Wheel sizes were talked about as was air pressure. I worked for a dealer ship as a part time sales and delivery manager. I would go over the car with the new owner. As a salesman I would take people on test drives.

1,185

Sorry, hit the submit button. Hardly anyone noticed the a0nsure. I over heard a customer complaining that the ride was too hard and it wasn't a sport model. I always carried a tire pressure gauge. I asked if it would' be ok if I checked something. Please, yes. He had been on the test drive to and thought it rode hard as well. I pulled out my tool and checked tire the tire pressure. ,65 psi. Recommended pressure 3 3 psi all around. I set the rest of them to the right pressure they had another test drive. Back in ten minutes and she bought the car. As delivery manager the first thing I'd do is check the tires. Now this was a car r that had gone through pdii or pre delivery inspection. I never had a car come to me where the tires were at the correct pressure.

If you take a new car for a test drive ( as I did ) with the Hyundai Tucson, it did ride rough, but went back to dealer cause I really liked the SUV, checked the tire pressure and they were approx 44 # per tire ( shipped that way from the manufacturer ) took each tire down to 32 # and rode like a Cadillac. Also not the best tires were on the SUV either ( they were Kumho's ) Another note is look for a softer sidewall when purchasing new tires,that helps out a lot. And to answer your question the bigger the tire ( diameter wise ) the more mileage you'd get from it because it doesn't make as many revolutions as a smaller tire ( example 16" )

1,695

When I worked in sales, and the customer had picked a car,I always had my tire pressure gauge in my pocket. For some reason cars and suvs are sent to the dealers with tire pressures way above normal pressure. Anyway I would check the pressures and if they were to high, I would set them to the correct pressures. I would tell them what I was doing. That trick increased my sales by about 15%.