high idle 1100 rpm 96 sebring 2.5

135

Asked by Apr 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM about the 1996 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

Ok so my car always idle at 1100 I just replaced my iac valve this morning I cleaned
the inside of the throttle body and plate and right when I started it up it idled where its
supoose to be at 700 but den 30 mins later went back up to 1100 well I didn't notice a
change in the way the engine souded still quiet and normal but the needle was back at
1100 rpm at idle should I replace my throttle position sensor also?would that help?
already checked for leaks and seafoamed my car i have a complete tune up also

113,235

Did you buy an oem iac from auto zone or other good auto parts store or did you get a cheap one off line? The cheap ones on line are a crap shoot. Might get a good one or a bad one. Learned this the hard way had to buy two to get one that worked properly. Also check for vacuum leaks. Check pcv valve. If it's sticking open it can cause a high idle issue.

135

Yes I did and I have a new Pcv valve and no leaks

113,235

Check throttle linkage. Make sure it's always going to full closed position when gas pedal is released. Have seen throttle cables get sticky and not allow the throttle plate to go full closed. It could be the tps but typically when those start going bad you have drivability issues. (Poor throttle response ect.) also have you tried cleaning your maf sensor? Although it sure sounds like a vacuum issue.

135

I don't have a maf sensor just a air box filter hose iac valve on the bottom of the throttle body and tps on the top somehow my car is letting in to much air something is off

I tried to reply to your question the other night but my phone is not smart. Leaking injectors, vacuum leak,and is the check engine light on? Just because its new out of the box don't mean its good. Carbon build up can be the issue if you cleaned carbon once twice my be ness

Also these cars the tach can malfunction where the needle says 1100 and have a normal idle are you positive the idle is consistent w the reading on the gauge?

135

I checked for a vac leak about 5 times cleaned my injectors about 4 times and no check engine light and I cleaned my throttle body and where the iac valve go about 3 times just cleaned it again 40 mins ago its clean now and I think its consistent car always sounds the same runs good but about 2 times a month my idle drops down to 800 where it should be like its trying to idle normal but somethin is stopping it it have not been droppin down anymore since it warmed up outside. It drop down more in the winter when it was really cold out dan it would go back to 1100 it just stays at 1100 no matter if the car is cold or hot and I don't notice any change in the engine sound or the way its running

40

My cars doing the same exact thing but it only runs bad or idles bad when the service engine light comes on, it ran great before i changed the alternator but after changing the alternator it has done it since but only when it reaches running temp. What could this be. Everything is hooked up right and torqued to specs.

10

I need answers 2!! My idle used 2 stay at 1100 then I got a tune up..right after that I noticed my idle floating down a little and back up I don't know what to do pls help me.. thank u