convertable top needs a push to get started up

Asked by Aug 07, 2010 at 10:56 AM about the 1996 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

when i am putting the top up i have to push it up for a couple of feet then it takes off. is there a adjustment or something to look at

425

You might have a small leak somewhere in the hydraulic pump. Usually the reservoir is on or near the pump. Check the fluid level and make sure you use the specified fluid.

225

Yes, check the fluid level. If the fluid is OK, you may have a cylinder that has a small defect in the inner wall at the bottom of the cylinder. The only fix for that is to replace the defective cylinder. The way to detect this is to watch when trying to raise the convertible top. Usually the good cylinder side will try to raise. The defective side will sit there, because the fluid is bypassing. I own an auto upholstery shop in Sarasota Florida. This is my 35th year working on Auto Upholstery & Convertibles. I just ordered a replacement cylinder yesterday for 1 of our customers. If there's any questions I can answer for you, don't hesitate to call me. I'm George at: Callender Auto Tops & Upholstery, Inc. Sarasota, Fl. 34237 941-957-1699