transaxle troubleshooting

Asked by Feb 10, 2009 at 07:18 AM about the 1996 Chrysler LHS 4 Dr STD Sedan

I have a 96 Chrysler LHS. I have recently put a new transaxle in it because I only had reverse and 1st gear. It wouldn't shift up or down while driving. So I took it by a local mechanic and had it checked out. I won't make that mistake again. Anyway they had told me the transaxle needed to be rebuilt.
So instead of paying them a outrageous amount of money. I had tackled the job myself. I went and got a used transaxle and put it in. Only to find out that the transaxle itself is not the problem. after I got done installing it.
Once again same scenario got drive and got reverse and still wont shift at all. anybody got any helpful tips or troubleshooting idea's or even what next.

1,455

If the transaxle has a trouble code stored in the computer, the car will go into what is called "limp in" mode. When the transmission computer is in "limp in" mode, you will only have 2nd gear and reverse. Chrysler designed this to make you take the car to a mechanic immediately, so that you do not continue driving the car and damage the transmission further. Usually the LHS will go into limp-in for a failed input speed sensor or output speed sensor. These sensors screw into the side of the transmission, near the axles. If you replaced the transmission, then the replacement probably had sensors in it. If you had to re-use either of the plastic sensors that screw into the side of the transmission (they have a 1-inch hex on them) then you may have transferred the problem to your new transmission. You can reset (erase) the transmission codes by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds or more. If you have done this and the problem is still present, then have someone scan the computer and see what codes are stored. Failure of the transmission control computer is also fairly common on this model.