repair question

130

Asked by Feb 02, 2014 at 12:29 AM about the 1996 Chrysler Concorde 4 Dr LX Sedan

My power steering fluid is coming out of the resivior. after driving for about 30 minutes

are you overfilling this....as I recall there is a little dipstick on the cap~ fluid expands when heated...and you're overpressurizing the system with thermal expansion....just fill it 1/2" below the top...use a turkey baster to remove some of the excess fluid~

130

ok did not overfill it. Followed the mark on the dip stick, but it still bubbles out causing a mess and smoke

have your shop change this fluid...perhaps the rubber has decayed contaminating the fluid....maybe you won't have to replace the hoses too~

130

do you think that it has anything to do with the rack and pinion?

101,825

Check hoses. I had one collapse internally once and mine was spraying fluid like yours. Could not tell it was a bad hose from the outside. I had to remove it to find the problem.

Best Answer

do the seals leak?...can you see the RED color or GREEN color of the power steering fluid drippin' there....take a look at the seals....'cept would not overpressurize...honestly do believe that the fluid is bubblin' because it's contaminated with the base ingredients of the rubber hoses~ got this problem with me MINI cooper...after a while it just goes away...but a rack and pinion is serious business....but a flattened soda case directly under the rack, where the steering goes in and look at somethin' leakin'...if so...count on takin' a magazine with you or droppin' your car off to have it worked on...kind o a lot o labor to fix it....please NOT be the case....please~

130

ok will do that. which hoses would i replace since they are old anyway.

just a soda case....please~

101,825

I replaced both the rubber hoses coming off of my power steering pump.

here...I can shop for you...

130

is not leaking from any pump or seals. the resivour is wet on top, and it is clear on the ground.

https://www.google.com/#q=1996+Chrysler+Concorde++power+steering+ho ses

okay pressure and return hoses can be had for under a hundred plus shipping~_____https://www.google.com/#q=1996+Chrysler+Concorde+pow er+steering+hoses&tbm=shop

130

ok i will do that first at autozone it is least expensive there

it can be fun to seek out a bargain...'cept some replacement "cheap" parts are bad....do not trust Beck-Arnley worldparts....sunshine rebuilts are junk~....etc...stick to oem MFR's such as Gates rubber, Harrison radiators...etc...the chinese replacement parts look okay, but don't stand the test of time like the well made products do....alright, I'll get off the horse now~...sorry for that~

101,825

Operator_13 it is surely a delight to have you back with us. Keep up the good work.

If you plan to sell the vehicle within five years...boy howdy yes, go with the cheap parts.....it's all on you~

130

ok ill remember that. that will be helpful.

dandyoun...you ROCK...swoopin' on in with a personal case answer~ I've got lots of them with my 26 vehicles plus gettin my a$$ kicked as a Sunday mechanic my only help a guy who HATED being a mechanic and incessantly wiped his tools down....and did not want to do anything~...so on my own...'cept when I was cryin' UNCLE....the customer LORDING above me the entire repair....often a nude person would run down the street in front of Parker and Telegraph in Berkeley...tough gig, man...but does give me some Olde tyme experience with all makes and models....thanks for asking~

sorry about that...can stretch my legs a bit...they love me down there...'cept getting up to number one comes with a definite price...as Tom Deyman is probably lookin' for spiritual help on these problems that he is expected to KNOW the answer on~

101,825

Oh you have lots more experience than I will ever have. I just a DIY kind of guy that likes restoring old cars. I refused to do it for a living because I was afraid it would take the fun out of it for me.

101,825

This old man ain't afraid of dark alleys! Bla bla your a$$

1,865

was you babbling on... no the judge was. wasn't talking to you sry you took it that way.

101,825

I stand by my friends. And Operator_13 is one of my friends.

1,865

look at his answer on the newest post! drill a hole in a 2007 jeep liberty to fix the problem... really!!!! what about fumes and dying !... glad he is your friend! hope this helps

1,865

also not sure what you mean by Dark Alleys might wanna ask david and the judge! they were the ones who said that not me... kinda funny how they both dropped there user names (judge roy, david) and had backup user names for this site...

Mr. jtuttle....you should not "attack an individual" Zach is going to have to cut you off now~~ as far as drilling a small hole to let the water out...it will be a rust hole anyways....no one is talking about asphyxiation....you need to seek help~

1,865

I did not attack anyone I stated a fact! Fix the problem and dry the area... drilling a hole could make issues worse down the line (mold) and possibly cause harm to someone.... just using common sense!!! hope this helps....

1,865

FOOD FOR THOUGHT! "About CarGurus: CarGurus LLC is an online automotive community that strives to connect those "in the know" with those on the hunt for new and used automotive information". In short if you don't know DON'T answer it cost hard working people money and could put people that don't know in harms way!!! hope this helps

Mr. tuttle, no one is putting anyone in harms way...You are the one with your secret fantasies about a leaking roof seal causing asphyxiations...anyways NOT going to quarrel with you...honestly wish that you were ALL that you think that you are (contributing to the gurus)....have not seen ONE post by you that a person might pause and say "HEY, that's a GOOD idea"...yet in my experience have had MANY~....as far as not making a mistake...yes sometimes I mistake a self-diagnostic system...but so what? the occupant will discover that in short order if this is truly an faux-pas...besides, I do not have to answer to the likes of YOU...dammit guy, you've gotten me all upset...and this cannot be good for anyone....in this light Zach and Lisa will see to putting my mind at ease by making today your last day with the Cargurus...really hope your efforts do HELP people, but all I'm seeing is predatory hate and beligerance....that does not help anyone~ sorry that it has to be this way.~

130

Look you two need to find somewhere else to bash eachother. I keep geeting email alerts all night and all day. stay off my question and go somewhere else please so i can stop getting my inbox filled up.

101,825

I agree.

1,865

I stopped following question, sry for the emails

130

np trying tomorow to fix the car

101,825

Mkwhiffen good luck with your car. Feel free to open a new question if there is anything we can do to help you.

130

thank you i hope this stops the power steering leaking

Confident that THIS will stop your troubles...don't know how people would rather be belligerent than help people...my mission here is to help you, mkwhiffen...not to make friends...but that is always nice....have no hidden agenda...they aren't paying us...'tis only from good will and love for my fellow motorist~ please be patient...everyone has something to learn about stuff~

thank you FordNut...I'll remember you~!

mkwhiffen...you need to go to your garage...your settings and uncheck "email me with alerts".....glad the purveyor of negativity has been removed from our site now...thanks for putting up with our rotten child...they let him out of his straight-jacket to terrorize the gurus....no more...thank heaven...jumpin' for joy~!

yeah that will happen... try again.. you taught me well judge...