97 chrysler sebring jxi convertible overheating, water coming from overflow tank area

Asked by Aug 22, 2012 at 07:42 AM about the 1997 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

Car runs fine for a while and then begins overheating, fan kicks on and seems to work a bit and then starts to get hot again afterwards. Noticed that when it does, it seems that there is an abnormal amount of water coming from the overflow tank area underneath. What can I try or look at as it's very hard to get under the car due to being so low to the ground. Is there a hose that should be connected to under the tank to somewhere for the water to go other than on the ground? Not sure where to go from here. Could it be the thermostat? I replaced it a bit ago.

12,305

You most likely have a head/head gasket issue. Is there an oily residue in the overflow tank?

nope...

12,305

Still thinking head/head gasket. If you see air bubbles rising into the overflow tank it is.

70

SOUNDS LIKE A BAD RADIATOR CAP IF THE TEMP GUAGE IS READING NORMAL

20

Most likely culprit is thermostat. If it has overheated a few times, you could have a head gasket/cracked head problem. I would replace the thermostat and pressure test the radiator/cooling system. It's pretty simple to do, and you can rent the pressure tester tool at autozone or oreilly. This will tell you if there's a crack/gasket problem. But since this question is a few months old, I'm guessing the problem is probably fixed and the original asker failed to contribute to the forum by contributing a solution for everyone else who may have experienced the same problem and is trying to find an answer here. Unfortunately, without solutions, forums are completely worthless. Please contribute when solutions are found.