overheating

Asked by Apr 02, 2010 at 06:44 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

already replaced the thermostat, water pump and radiator, also have no oil in coolant, keeps overheating sometimes i have no heat?

135

Well I can not be sure.. My car did not have any oil in the coolant, but there was coolant in the oil. This was due to a crack in the head gasket. If thats the case i wish you the best of luck.

85

heater core

9,360

Does the cooling fan operate like it should? No heat would suggest a blockage or air in the system. Try flushing the system and make sure to properly bleed it.

35

I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring jxi with 171,596 miles on it My car would run a little hot problem my cooling fan didn't work (Which is common for these cars) i replaced that and did a coolant flush and i had no problem i had no heat sometimes i would say check the heater core...? it could be clogged i would also say warm up the car till the temp gauge reads half then go outside to see if you can hear the cooling fan kick on if it doesnt wel then that ould be your problem a faster way try to cycle the A/C on

85

i had a similar problem with my 96. when i went to replace the thermostat i found out that the motor was not pulling coolant from the reservoir and was just really low on coolant. i wasn't noticeably leaking coolant because it was slowly leaking out the cap and evaporating off the motor. if your lucky and have the same problem you might only have to replace the cap or just dump some of the coolant from the reservoir into the system every now and then.

145

How do you get the coolant into the system directly? I believe I have the same problem because the coolant reservoir was making a sucking noise after I turned off my over heated car, sounded like it was having trouble. Help please, I live in the desert!

370

I can personally guarantee that you have air in your cooling system which is not allowing your fluid to circulate through your engine propeyly l et me guess you have heat sometimes but not other times and sometimes you overheat other times you don't

370

also check and see if you have a bleeder valve on top of your thermostat housing if you do that's probably your problem those cooling systems are the worst but once you get the air out and it is not easy to do

370

oh shit this question is for years old your car has probably blown up by now

40

I have a 2000 it overheats and there coolant in it, the fan runs, it's not a head gasket just changed the oil andbt t hemastat

70

I have a 2000 Sebring it overheats not the head gasket not the fan not the thermostat what could it be

80

Sebring's are notorious for coolant issues. First guess, check to see if your system is Vapor Locked. If it's not that, it is probably your radiator. PRAY ITS NOT YOUR WATER PUMP IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND A G. With the Blue Book value on these cars I believe a water pump totals anything older than an 2005, and the only reason I did the radiator in mine is because I have 10 grand worth of after market Mods. Stock Sebring, big coolant issue, get a new car. Especially for the guy who has ALREADY done a water pump/radiator/etc, it is time to let it go, brother. Not worth keeping, get a new ride.

40

I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring it was overheating and all my lights came on it have its battery checked and it was dead so I bought a new battery and everything was fine now no lights or anything comes on everything's back to normal but now it was overheating I got a block check and to see if there was any air in the coolant everything was fine they said it was the thermostat my coolant that was running out now its real low but it don't seem like its leaking what else could it be

80

If a mechanic told you it is the thermostat you have 2 choices. Take it to another GOOD (check google reviews,etc) mechanic to get his view on the issue which will probably cost you some cash, and give you the same answer. If the mechanic said it's the thermostat I would tend to agree as he's seen your car, and I haven't. Everything you describe could be a tweaked stat.

20

Chrysler Sebring engine cooling systems are extremely pressure sensitive. They also use a thermostat that opens at 195f when the boiling temp is 220f. This doesn't give the engine a chance to cool off properly going downhill. The best repair test is a pressure test. It should hold pressure overnight. If not and there are no visible leaks , the pressure is being lost above the water line. The most likely area is the small nipples on the reservois tank and on the pressure bleed housing. Replace both of these and do another check. If the pressure holds,your next step is to install a lower temp. thermostat. If not available, remove the thermostat . Your overheating problems will be over but it will take longer for your Chrysler to warm up. This could be a problem in the winter.