my sebring 1997 will not drive when i put it into 'drive'. motor runs fine.

Asked by Jun 10, 2012 at 03:33 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

my sebring 1997 suddenly had a problem with the transmission. Before a stop light, it seemed as if it wend into gear. the motor stopped. only starting it in neutral and giving some gas i could get it going. it seemed ok after that but then on the road it seemed it was switching gears without reason.
Then the car stopped complete. When it was brought home i fixed the engine by replacing the crank censor. This was hard to do and i was glad the motor worked again. I thought that was the whole problem. But the car will not drive. It drove just slow 10 meters and quit. No forward or reverse.
When put into gear (drive) i also hear a noise i never heard before.
Is there a way to check what it is? The car service who tried to fix my car, read codes but also cleared the code so i have no idea about the codes.

223,755

I had similar situation after the car was driven 15-20min it would stall and I can only get it started in park and neutral, once in gear, stall. It was the transmission lock up solenoid or sometime called the shift solenoid. It was faulty telling the computer to lock up the torque convertor at the wrong time putting a drag on the motor, stalling it. Maybe this is your issue.

Thank you for your reply. In my case the car will not even drive. I checked the fault code with the ignition switch but it does not give an error. Could it be the speed sensor i have read about? I do not think so since then i would expect some drive capabilities. I will look up the shift solenoid. and I hope i can fix it and it is not too expensive. If someone know a way to check the solenoid let me know. thanks!

removing power steering pump cannot get to last two bolts onmounting bracket to remove from car abs is in the way