1997 Chrysler Concorde with rumble in sync with car speed Neutral right goes away

25

Asked by Sep 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Concorde 4 Dr LX Sedan

Hi,
There is s rumble in sync with car speed.  In Neutral, or drive.  When I turn slightly
to the right, it goes away.  I can't hear it outside. I had my wife drive in circles around me.  I had her drive while I was on the hood.  Tx & differential fluids OK.  CV covers look OK.  Put up on jack stands and ran up to about 25 MPH but no sound.  Drive shafts in different position of course.
Thanks for any help.

8,385

with the car jacked up, grab the top and the bottom of the rt. wheel and shake it. Your cking for any play in wheel bearing. now do it to the other side. If there is ANY play...wheel bearing is bad. Another trick you can do is to bang the tire sidewall with the bottom of your fist at bottom of tire sidewall. If you hear a rumbully rattle (bdddddt)there may be play in bearing. It should sound solid. just a bang when you hit it. kind of a(POM) sound. Hope this helps..... .

Best Answer Mark helpful
1,660

yep, sounds like a bearing problem.

8,385

Is it on just one side?

25

Well, I could SWEAR that the play wasn't there a month ago. I was afraid it was the differential so I was hesitating to fix anything, cause that would have probably meant donating the car. But I'm 98% sure it was the wheel bearings. After the post from thejeepdoctor I decided to check again and there was vertical play. The other 2% is the control arms (with integral ball joints) and all associated bushings I replaced at the same time. Thanks thejeepdoctor !

8,385

your welcome