Water leak after rain

Asked by Jul 16, 2011 at 03:14 PM about the 1998 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

I just got my car, and we had a sever rain storm. I opened my driver side car door to a 1 - 2 inch puddle on the floor of the car. Can anyone help me figure out where and what caused this to happen. I don't have access to keep my car in a garage, only have outside parking.

145

Take it to a car wash and sit in it to try to see where the water is coming from...

80

finally got rid of that problem lat week. look under rear 1/4 panel and at the seam, there is a quarter sized v shpe cut in the metal seem. stick a butter knife into it and wiggle. works great, not more 2 inch of water in back seet.

295

The drain holes under the cowl where your windshield wipers are located at are most likely clogged. When they are, the water will find other ways to escape that area and most of the time, it will find its way into your car.... Also under the car along the rocker panel are a total of 10 drain holes on either side of the car, you can take a screw driver, butter knife and I have even read... a paper clip to clean them and open them up... Careful though... water does come pouring out and you will get wet! Mine are being cleaned out as well speak today!..

1,205

I have had the same problem recently - Thanks for the tip - I will be trying it tonite on my car - my leak came out of no-where.

110

i had this problem when i first got my car i just unclogged the drains beneath the car and it has done it since then

150

My video at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q808Fm8dEB4 Pictures at: http://www.leadersoncall.com/sebring.html

3,425

Try the drain holes others mentioned below the rocker panels on each side, between the wheel wells. they are very small slots that get clogged with pollen and airborne dust over time. When the holes clog, water entering the body cavity, past windows for example, will fill and overflow into the cabin. Simply clean with a blade or very small screwdriver, don't be rough or the paint will chip and rust can start. Beware, lots of stinky, green water can escape. Also, if the top has been replaced, the excess material inside the car between the rear and side rear windows can direct water over the catch trough, and into the car. This water can trickle into the spare tire well, or under the rear seat into the rear foot wells. I have a 2006, and had a 2000 Sebring with these issues, we have lots of pollen here in Western NC!

Sebring tops are notorious for glass popping from top as it ages look at the back window the bottom will have a open spot water pours in runs under rear seat and on to floor. If your car jxi has a amp under passenger seat (black box about 8in long x 4wide if it powers up wet it will be hard and spendy to replace, I took mine out put it in a wal mart bag and put grease on plug in to repell water

Inside the lower front fenders is plugged with dirt, remove inner fender plastic, cut about 3" of the insulation off the bottom, also clean and open seems under the fender where the rockers is put together. Drill a extra drain hole in front rockers, under fender.

Depending on your location certain deicers can and will promote cancerous rust. Chrysler service recomends, leak testing using a shower head mounted to a 2x4 three feet above top of car, you'll need to be inside car a friend or the misses to help test at low volume, medium, and monsoon, try to locate in center of top to get as equal amount of water over top to find "weak" spots. A visual inspection of top will most likley find the back window seperated from top, top shinks as it ages pulling bottom seal from glass, allowing water in flooding rear top storage area. Top on ebay start at 199.00 and is super easy to install. I just bought mine w heated glass for 205.00 after shipping and was oem. Robbins. Convert tops drain in the rear wing window area btw. Hard top lxi drains are in the front fenders along w the wiper cowling drains.

30

Here in the PNW we had 2 weeks of hard rain storms back to back. My 97 Sebring convertible was 4" deep with water on the passenger side only after the first day of rain. I used a wet/dry vac to remove the water and looked up, down and all around to figure out what was up with my car. With all the standing water removed I could see the carpets continuing to fill with water and as I drove I could hear water sloshing somewhere near the backseat. I Google'd for answers and found out this is a common problem. I was confused by the answers to resolve the issue. Finally, I called the folks I bought the car from and asked for help. This is girlspeak for how I learned where these hidden drainholes are: Put on grubby clothes and grab something to lay or kneel on. I also suggest having a flashlight and rubber gloves ready for use. You will need an old thin paring knife and a magic marker. If you are laying on your back looking under the car you might see a rectangular hole that looks like it could be what you are looking for. Wrong! Back up and imagine you are pressing your forehead against the lowest part of your car where the door shuts... keep lowering yourself into you are exactly at eye level with the bottom of your car. This is where the "seam" is located. It kind of looks like a thin ledge. There are no obvious holes screaming to be poked. Along the bottom of the ledge there are open slots. The slots can be better felt than seen. This is where to insert the knife and wiggle it about. When you locate the drains you may want to mark them making things easier for next time. My plan is to continue cleaning drains and sucking out water until my carpets are completely dry. I hope that I can keep things dry by cleaning slots every couple of weeks to prevent flooding.

Check your back glass for separation till its fixed the flooding will continue

This happened to me and my car now won't start or turn over what should I do?