What do i do if my convertible top will no longer close?

Asked by Mar 07, 2013 at 10:14 AM about the 1998 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

It will open with no problems, when trying to close it sometimes with another person giving it a
"push" or "lift" will help it go very very slowly but now that is not even working. I don't know if
there is a motor to be replaced or what is involved?   HELP!

buy a sedan.

There is a motor, yes. A 1998..who knows how many times it has been open/closed. and eventually, especially if the moving parts, all those hinges, scissor assemblies, they are pretty elaborate and lots of parts to fail, especially if it was not lubricated properly....I am thinking the drag from use, wear, taxed the motor until it failed or the fuse blew. Start with that: Fuse.

And if it is up, keep it there, and if it's down, try your best to put it up and leave it there, forever.. or until you get it fixed, and it will not be cheap.

Also, sometimes in the compartment where if folds up to store, all sorts of crap can get in there and interfere with it's use

http://www.partshotlines.com/parts/chrysler/sebring/convertible-top-motor.html

actually had to use 'bing' to find a source for that one....google is like barney google, with the goo-goo-googley eyes- had a wife three times his size...

100,685

I see Bob's link shows a motor with lines and cylinders. If it uses hydraulics, check the fluid and look for leaks.

100,685

It is hydraulic - here's filling instructions http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl429i.htm

100,685

Bob, try www.Info.com for internet searches. It uses Google, Yahoo and Bing with one click of the search button.

check.

3,845

Ben, the process to rejuvinate the top lift mechanisms is not a simple one, usually requires replacing the lines and pistons and adding dexron fluid to the system if the pump still works. Also having an assistant is a must. Here is a link to the process with a diagram. Good luck. http://www.justanswer.com/car/1j6wz-98-chrysler-sibring-top-when-press.html

210

How can you fix the back window where the cloth and window go to gather without replacing the hole top and the window/

if you follow the links on how to refill your hydraulics it's a reservoir...under your glovebox...I think (that mighta been a saab) but there is a reservoir...look at one of those posted links to find it...and the motor should be runnin' if it isn't we will look at the electrics then~

A the resevoir is in a small compartment behind the rear seat upper the whole rear seats need come out, dont be intimidated the lowwer just pulls up, the upper has two large torx bolts that hold it down then it just lifts straight up. Theres a small panel w 7mm screws 6or8total once removed you will see the pump resevoir is on the pump it self. USE CARE MOVING THE PUMP AROUND THE LINES ARE PLASTIC AND CAN BE FRAGILE. spendy and hard to replace. On your top i have a 99 limited (same as jxi) the whole top will need replaced the vinyl shrinks breaking seal on glass ive tried some creative crap to ureathane to gorrilla glue. None worked. Ebay has tops starting at 138.00 just remember you get what you pay for. I do not endorse the plastic back window fogging w in 6-10 months top failure in 3-4 r years. 6-10 years for a good top as long as its sheltered,and some jerk doesnt cut it. Top is a diy project,do recommend a second person for assistance.

180

would it be a fuse if it still will open and just will not close. Are there two different fuses for each one

70

There is only one fuse but I just found out there are 2 diodes that are mounted in the trunk just to the right of the motor & pump assembly. . You can test to see if they are good or bad by bypassing the lead wire to either the red or yellow connector the top should then go up or down (you'll at least hear the motor running) I'm having the same troubles as you are.. it goes up but not down :(( good luck.. Bill K

60

To glue to canvas to the glass I used Rhino glue and worked perfectly.....Hope it last many years..... My top open but doe not closes.....will check fuses If I have to refill the reservoir what type of oil need to be used? txs

60

3,845

Dexron fluid.

60

Dexron fluid? What type of fluid is that???

3,845

Automtic transmission. Its pink in color.

3,845

Automatic transmission, sorry

60

Dextron Automatic Transmision Fluid???

3,845

Dexron. There is no "t" in it. All top systems use transmission fluid after 1967. Earlier, some used brake fluid, before 1962, they all did. Good luck.

Start easy check the switch.

70

How do you "check" the switch?

80

I have a 2008 chrysler sebring and the top won't go up and the trunk bottom doesn't open the trunk. Is it the fuse?

I thoght so, check "continuality (Meter beeps cause it detects a short, which a fuse thats good does, BUT PLAY WITH TE SWITCH FIRST . K.I.S.S. I can say that cause 2 fuses and two new fog lamps just to jerk the blinker, light, PULL FOGLIGHT (Dude B-4 didnt know either. Old school thinking would have saved me so much time. IF IT IS NOT BROKE DON"T F$#%in Fix IT. Good luck # 17 under Power Module wher Battery hot is (Black Cover, 2nd set of green 20,s count 12,13,14,15,16 {Green? Good} 17. 2004 Sebring touring V6 (The Fuse, Location, if not the switch) Pull it get meter or that dude with a meter that still has your 1/2 inch deepwell and make it 1(light up or Ohms short out. Donations send to St. Jude Childrens (J.K)