What's causing my 98 Cirrus to have vibration at speeds over 65MPH?

Asked by Mar 04, 2012 at 06:48 PM about the 1998 Chrysler Cirrus 4 Dr LXi Sedan

Any time I drive over 65 MPH the steering wheel shakes and I feel vibration coming from the front passenger side. The shaking stops when I turn a certain way.

15

TIRES OUT OF ROUND OR OUT OF BALENCE? STRUTS SHOT? OR CV AXEL IS OUT OF BALENCE

885

nope the problem is a inner or outer tie rod end is bad , if you do this it will verify it . ! at a stop car off turn stearing wheel left to right approximately three inches in travel distance left and right (very quickly back and fourth ) if you here a clunking or tapping noise and feel it through nthe steering wheel then that pretty much tells you , you need front end work

Best Answer Mark helpful

I did your test and it sounds like that is the problem. What might a repair like this cost and what could happen if I don't get it repaired? Thanks.

885

if you dont do the repairs it will cost you even more later,,,, it will cause your rack and pinion ( STEARING GEAR ) to start leaking fluid which then you will have to replace the rack and pinion and if you let it go to long you then can cause the power stearing pump to go out,,,,, so i wouldnt wait to long to get it fixed,,, but the part should be about 50 to 80 dollars and about a hour or a hour and a half of work of labor but note you will need a alignment to after this or if you dont the car may handle irregualer and wear out your tires fast...

10

Another possibility that's causing vibration is that your motor mounts may be going bad. Have the garage take a look at it. If it is, it's gonna run you about $700 to replace all three mounts.