Can I bypass my catalic converters

100

Asked by Jan 24, 2013 at 01:08 AM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr LXi Coupe

I realize there are three of them and all are bad. Too much money to put into that car. Can I bypass them

100

I want to bypass my catalic converter. Is it possible

103,755

Yes, you can bypass the cats. You might have to ask around since it's not legal.

7,135

The answer is "NO" You CANNOT bypass the convertors. They are there for a reason and bypassing them or removing them from the system will alter the computer setting on your car as they are tied into your computer with O2 sensors, an airpump and other such items. They also clean the exhaust coming thru your exhaust pipes and running without convertors polutes the air that we breathe. The air is already polluted and eating up the ozone and causing global warming. We don't need it to be any worse. Plus your car will run terrible without them and suck gas so removing them isn't an option. It is also very illegal to do and no actual shop will do it because the fines are high for tampering with emission controls. Either fix the car or sell or junk the car or atleat don't drive it until it's fixed. Ride the bus if needed. Kenny/MrBlueOval

460

Mr BlueOval, sell your car, turn of your fridge and AC and take the bus what a load of BS. I dont have a cat on my Sebring 1995 and actually got on averge 15 % less fuel and it passes the pollution test. the polution is actually as a 1,6 liter car. I also gave me 24 hp more. The o2 sensor you just remove, you will get a check engine light, it will not make your car run bad, actually the car will get a boost and the gear shifting gets smoother.

7,135

Well I don't know where you live but in the Chicago area, it's quite illegal to mess with the cats and you won't pass any emissions here if you remove them, because the testers have portable mirrors on long poles and they look under your car for any modifications at all of the testing stations. It's an automatic FLUNK if they are missing. Like I said, they are there for a reason or they wouldn't be on the car in the first place and I'm sure the experts at Chrysler Corp knew a heck of a lot more about their cars than you do but hey, whatever works for you is fine for you but not neccesarily good for others. So I wouldn't be telling people to do something that's illegal just because you've done it and got away with it. According to Federal Law, It's ILLEGAL to remove catalytic convertors from any car that had them originally installed from the factory, PERIOD...!!! EPA guidelines state that the catalytic converter must be replaced if it is removed; and before it can be removed, it has to meet certain criteria. The legal criteria for removing a catalytic converter specifies that it must have failed a state or local emissions inspection and have a legitimate need for replacement that can be established and documented.Federal law makes it illegal to remove a functioning catalytic converter. Illegally removing a catalytic converter can result in serious fines and consequences. BS or not, IT'S ILLEGAL........... PERIOD.

20

Funny thing is, not all states require them but they get installed on every vehicle just the same so if I'm in a state that doesn't require them why shouldn't I be allowed to remove them?

5

Im with MrBlueOval. Florida Statutes: 316.2935 Air pollution control equipment; tampering prohibited; penalty.— (1)(a) It is unlawful for any person or motor vehicle dealer as defined in s. 320.27 to offer or display for retail sale or lease, sell, lease, or transfer title to, a motor vehicle in Florida that has been tampered with in violation of this section, as determined pursuant to subsection (7). Tampering is defined as the dismantling, removal, or rendering ineffective of any air pollution control device or system which has been installed on a motor vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer except to replace such device or system with a device or system equivalent in design and function to the part that was originally installed on the motor vehicle.

Funny thing about laws. Not gona argue With that. Does it say from what year it is requierd .?. Any ways im sure that everyboddy knows about it function and how useless a cad is after 3-4 years. Does the law specify how often it should be replaced?. it will and ask arround cause your car to burn more fuel and decreese hp and performance. So now we can argue about more polution. Emetion on diesel engines i can undestand a cad but not on a benzin/gas engine.

20

While it is illegal to remove the catalytic converter no matter where you live, not all areas will actually test the emissions of your vehicle. In the areas where an emissions test is not required, the technician still has to verify the converter is there through a visual inspection. Check into a catalytic converter test pipe which looks the same outside but has all the guts removed. Bypassing a catalytic converter will throw a check engine light and mess with the engines air fuel mix, which you may want to get tuned properly. You will see increased power and better fuel mileage, especially on higher mileage cars that still have the original cat. So yes you can bypass them. Search for catalytic converter test pipes or cat-delete kits.

10

I can't believe no one caught this, but if you read carefully the regulation posted above by Ramesh, it is clear that you can LEGALLY remove your cat if you want. However it is illegal to then offer that vehicle for sale, display it for sale, lease it or transfer title to that vehicle. Enjoy..