What could cause my car not to turn completely over when started, it stalls. My Heat/AC only blows on MAX, could this be a fuse, or do I need to replace the blow motor resister?

Asked by Feb 20, 2013 at 09:40 PM about the 2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Coupe

First off I want to say thank you to all the questions and answers on this site, I have found it very helpful.

I also like to mention I have never had my timing belt replaced, and I have over 172,000m on my 2001
Solara SE V6 Coupe. ***Knock on wood****

From 2009-2011 my car had starting issues where it wouldn't turn over, or if it did it would stall within
seconds; usually by the third try it turned over. (Three times I needed a jump) I had my one trustworthy
mechanic stumped for at least a year, he basically took all the 'organs' out and thoroughly inspected them
and cleaned them. Other mechanics said it was my starter, or my alternator, one said I needed a new
battery. The first new battery fixed the problem for about 8mo. then the starting issues happened again. I
had a friend of mine check my battery, and he said it was bad, so I bought another battery. Since the
second battery replacement (Early 2010) I have only had 2 starting/stalling episodes, one needing a jump.
Within the last month I have noticed my car 'hesitates' to start. Any ideas why this may be happening?

Mid 2010 my check engine light came on, had it scanned (P1153) spoke to my mechanic and he said it
wouldn't cause my car to stop running. Replaced my O2 Sensor (Bank1,Sensor2) in spring of 2012. Check
engine light is currently on again (ugh!) now it's code P1135, which I will hopefully replace this spring.

I also just recently lost fan power when using heat, only works on MAX. One person suggested checking
the fuses. After doing some research myself I've narrowed it down to the Blow Motor Resistor needing
replaced. Oh yeah, and I don't have light on my Heat/AC panel anymore...assuming it's a bulb that I can't
find up/through the ashtray; guessing the panel(s) need to be removed.

I do have the Toyota Repair Manuals which help, plus a wonderful handyman boyfriend to thank...however
we can't find the maintenance schedule, hence googling this evening.

I think that's about it, thank you in advance for any advice and wisdom.

Don't worry, we will be doing the timing belt, hopefully within the next two weeks (crossing fingers-
money is tight)

Melanie (& Eric)

102,845

It sounds like you answered most of your own questions. Find a video and some forums and read up on the timing belt change.--- My guess on the battery is that it's not getting fully charged when the engine runs. --- If your blower motor has two fuses like some GM cars have, it could be a blown fuse. Most likely it's a bad resister.