will not start

5

Asked by Feb 11, 2015 at 01:38 AM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

1999 Chrysler sebring convertible JXI 2.5 I started it u and went in house and came back out and it wasn't running I thought it ran out of gas so I put some in it and it would start. so I check to see if it was getting fuel and it was so next check for sark from spark lug wires and there isn't and. bought cap,rotor,coil pack check the com. when it first would start it read fine no codes. could the distributor be bad or is there something else in there I see like a half moon shape thing in the distributor with a elec plug what is that.

Distributor is done. Check the fuses too

8,510

That is a type of hall effect device most likely. The ignition gets an on off signal on some and the injector signal for others. the reluctor turns and passes it tripping a field. This produces a square on/ off signwave rather than an analog signal. The module (nowadays often in the processor case) can use that type of signal to deliver when the correct engine position occurs. If yours is a cam sensor, it does the fuel, if it is, there is a CKP or crankshaft sensor as well. Having a vented cap makes them last longer. Not servicing and or replacing the cap can lead to their softening and internal open circuit. You can ask at the parts store to be sure what your make, model, year, and engine uses and be sure it does the spark. if not, ask if you can see the crank position sensor. They would show you a electromagnet with its own field winding contained within. There are tests on u-tube that demonstrate the type of meter and how to record and play the cranking tests. Try watching both cam sensor and crankshaft sensor videos to become familiar if you like.

8,510

Intermittant or loose fitting connectors have been the history of some of these on some applications, cheapo aftermarket ones fail sooner.