wont start after warm up

10

Asked by Aug 03, 2015 at 08:58 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring JX that stalls after a few minutes of running whether it's
driving or idling. It doesn't sputter when it dies. The RPM just goes straight to zero and it
does not matter if I pump the gas or throw it in neutral as it dies. When I try to restart it,
it tries to start but never catches. Eventually it always starts back up though. Everything
dealing with fire has already been replaced. I learned that there was a faulty aftermarket
fuel pump recalled for this car. I don't know if previous owner ever changed the pump
but the recall stated:   SILICONE MATERIAL USED IN MANUFACTURE OF THE
FLAPPER VALVE WAS OUT-OF-SPECIFICATION, LEADING TO EXCESS SWELL
OF THE FLAPPER VALVE RESTRICTING THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE FUEL PUMP
MODULE.

Not sure how fuel pumps work exactly but if this was the problem wouldn't it "sputter"
and die out instead of smoothly dying? I don't know but any advise is welcome.

1,555

Have fuel pressure checked.

10

I was hoping someone could tell me if the pressure was too low it would sputter when it dies like it ran out of gas because of all the times it died (about 50) it has never sputtered or made any noise. I'm just a girl with limited tools and the fuel rail does not look easy to get to so I chose not to test the fuel pressure until I ask this one question.

24,035

say try this..hate to say i had that proble...but i did....first spray a bunch of wd40 into the ign switch/ and work it on off on off........any better you need to find out fuel/elect...then fix it...if pressure is low////bad filter,yes it will just quit..elect..is more of a thud....

24,035

so you have not changed the filter..first do that...it has to have X amount of pressure to start and more at open..sputtered...change the fuel filter and add a zmax gas cleaner please...

10

Could be lots of things, have you at least tried seeing if you have pressure at the Schrader valve, shot fuel through the throttle body listened to the fuel pump through the gas inlet hole

24,035

let me know its fixed.

10

I have changed the fuel filter a few days ago as well as the relay switch and it still has the same gas as it had a few months ago with the gas treatment stuff in it. Have used half the tank of that gas since then.

10

If it is an ignition issue would the key get hot?

1,555

Check fuel pump relay. Switch with other relay you know works.

10

did that already

10

The problem turned out to be that it was a half gallon low on water. Sounds rediculous but its true :)