I am trying to find out if the Body Control Module needs to be programmed or not.

15

Asked by Dec 05, 2014 at 06:11 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

I have a '99 Sebring JX.  I need to replace the Body Control Module.  The shop wants
over $900 but I've been told that it is pretty simple to switch out and that my son can
do it for me.  I went searching for the part.  I found it at one place for $425 and they
told me they need to program it using my VIN.  At another place I found it for $95 and
they told me that it does not need to be programmed for the year '99 or earlier.  They
did ask me before looking up the part if I had a security system in my car which I do
not.  I tried contacting a local dealer to ask this question and the guy told me he would
look it up and get back to me but I kind of got the feeling he wasn't really interested in
helping me if I wasn't buying the part from him.  Does anyone know with certainty the
answer to this dilemma?  Program or not?  Obviously I don't want to spend $425 if I
can spend $95 but I don't want to spend $95 on a part that doesn't work.

15

The parts guy at the dealer finally got back to me and confirmed that the body control module for my year sebring does not need to be flashed so I ordered the $95 one and it should be delivered today and my son is going to install it tomorrow....I'll update with the results

Rcatron, how did this go for you? I'm looking at possibly doing the same thing but my mechanic hasn't priced it out yet. My auto door locks and the seat bell alarm kept going off a few times within a 1/4 mile of driving and I thought I saw the mileage and radio station lights flicker. Let us know how your car ran since your son has worked on this. Thanks. Don