i have a 2008 lincoln town car and the trunk won't close completly.

Asked by May 01, 2015 at 05:45 PM about the 2008 Lincoln Town Car Executive

i have a 2008 lincoln town car and the trunk won't close completly. also, it won't open or
close  the trunk with the remote control however i can open and close all the other doors.
can you tell me if i can fix it without going to the delarship?

155

My ''06 TC Signature sometimes works or not by using the remote or door button. The interior latch might open for just a split second and closes before the deck lid can clear the latch. My suspicion: there's an adjustment rod for each trunk spring inside the trunk, one on each side. A steel rod protrudes from one of three adjustment notches in a piece of sheet metal. Top notch for max tension, middle notch for medium tension and lower notch for minimum tension (I think). There must be a tool that allows you to move the rod, but it will take a lot of energy to move it from one notch to another. My spring tension rods are in the medium setting and I'd like to move them to the max notch, but haven't found or tried any tool to do it. It seems the trunk misbehaves more often in cold weather, but it happens less frequently in warm weather. The key to the trunk always works.