1999 Chrysler LHS is overheating,

20

Asked by Oct 17, 2013 at 05:44 AM about the 1999 Chrysler LHS 4 Dr STD Sedan

One of the best cars i have owned with 173,000 miles this past year I have replaced the
radiator, the dual fan assembly, fuses, thermostat, alternator, new battery, new tires all
four with 3,200 miles 60,000 mile warranty. And radiator cap....and it still get hot and
after about 5 miles driving and cools down fast when i open the radiator cap...I was told
that i might have put the thermostat in backwards by the Chrysler Dealer? and that it
might be the water pump? But it does not leak...Fan belts do not make noise when the
a/c goes on, new belts about a year ago...oil is clear, water is clean, drives normal
even when getting over heated. Water pump to replace is about $400. and head gasket
is about $800 to fix....does any one have any suggestion? thanks

U might just need the radiator to b burped. Gt the air out of it. If there is air in the lines coolant will not circulate properly

20

Burping the radiator would be flushing it and refilling it again with coolant ...that simple? Or is there another way you would suggest? Thank you

95

i have had many of these cars and if the water pump has not already been replaced then it needs to be

I have a 2000 lhs and it still overheated after the thermostat,top radiator hose, new 16 psi rated cap were replaced. Do yourself a favor and go and rent a cooling system leak test kit from an auto parts store. The tester fits to your radiator or reservoir filling station. Only pump it up to what your cap is rated at. This is a simple test that will find any leaks in the system. Guess what, my radiator was cracked and at 10 psi it blew antifreeze all over the place. Check heater core hose Tracy lines anything tied into the cooling loop. Make sure if you find the leak that when you refill the system you open the bleeder valve on top of the block behind the top manifold and get a solid stream flowing out before you top off the radiator or your reservoir tank. Hope this works for you.

10

We had over heating..took to mechanic to replace thermostat.. Husband bought it and didn't have time to put in..Mechanic.he put in up side down!!! Then said it was radiator..400 later still overheating.. told my husband I read on internet site the thermostats go in weird and could be up side down!!! IT was!! Mechanic wanted to put head gastic sealer in ...said it had a lot of miles and it was heads!!! Luckily I said no more..stop!! Hubby put thermostat in correctly...runs great!!

60

Chris I have a question for you...I have 99 chrysler lhs and started over heating so I did what u told this guy to try and pulled the fuse and one fan comes on but when I put fuse back in neither fan comes on what does this mean?

10

Is that with the ac on or ac off and is it warming past the half way mark?

10

Theres 2 relays and 2 thermals. Both fans should kick on and one stays on when the ac is off.

30

Should the thermostat go on backwards on these 3.5 engines? I bought a '99 LHS that needed some body work done so I replaced the thermostat while I was doing the other work since it was easily accessible at the time, now the car will overheat after driving 3 or 4 miles and the temp gauge reads that it is in the normal range until the engine starts to run rough, ps sorry about my pic, I changed it on this site but it didnt change here, lol

20

Hi , i have chrysler 1999 lhs i was driving my car like 2 hours and doing a lot stops just paying bills and shopping, but last stop the car turn off and have to asking for jumpers cables ,the cars go on again, but , at last stop the car blows up the water at antifrezer container , exactly for the little and skinny black tube come from antifrezer container

Off the top hose near block should be a bleed valve .if it don't open replace or just loosen hoses let air out .