My car keep stalling out when stop at lights what should i look for to fix it???

Asked by Apr 22, 2015 at 04:54 PM about the 1999 Chrysler 300M 4 Dr STD Sedan

35

I had this happen with my 2001 300M. ( I am 2nd owner - purchased from a small, independent dealer, not a Chrysler dealership ) All was fine until three days after taking it to the Chrysler dealership for an oil change. That's when it started to stall at stop lights. This progressed to, intermittently, not being able to start it without a jump. Finally, I would be driving down the road and the car would quit running.It would just go dead in the middle of traffic. Repeated trips to dealership ended up with them saying they could not fix it, because they could not find problem. I love the car but was afraid to drive it,as I could either be stranded due to it not starting up when trying to leave any place I'd driven to, or be the cause of an accident if it died in traffic and I could not get out of the way of other cars on the road. A friend took his time, did a meticulous inspection and found the battery terminals were rusty and one of the battery cables had breaks in the wires beneath the insulation. I bought a new battery and a new set of cables and once these were both installed - problems solved. That has been the only problem I've had with the car before or since. I hope my little story helps you with your car.

35

I forgot to include this in my answer to you, Jennifer - The car would give a clue that problems might be about to happen: the lights for the CD player would flash and/or the dash lights would flicker. The flashing of the CD lights was the same, exact pattern of flashes each time this occurred, and may have been a computer code. The dealership said the PCM needed to be replaced so I paid $1200.00 to replace and program the PCM - that produced absolutely no change. I did a lot of research on this problem and found many people having the same issues - the flashing lights and all - there are even videos on YouTube showing it happening. The 300M is not the only Chrysler that has this problem. There are several models and model years it happens on, however, nowhere does Chrysler say anything about it, each person talking about it on various Q & A's is told by the dealerships/mechanics that they don't know what the problem is and I came across only one other person, besides myself, fortunate enough to get their car back on the road and his fix wasn't the same as mine, but it was in the electrical system. That may be why the pros give up on fixing these cars.Tracking down problems with the electrical system can be so time consuming it becomes cost prohibitive if you can not do the work yourself and mechanics can't devote that much time to just one vehicle. I'm sorry I'd left this stuff out before. All of this stuff happened over the span of @ an entire year and when things are better you tend to forget just how bad they were! Anyway, best thoughts to you for speedy resolution of your problem.