We want to maintain a good transmission. We are trying to figure it if we should change the transmission fluid twice; with the filter first time and change one week later. What do you suggest?

Asked by Aug 20, 2012 at 03:33 AM about the 1999 Chrysler 300M 4 Dr STD Sedan

Which type of tranny fluid should we request and/or use?  This car has 136,500 miles.  

209,885

Has the fluid ever been changed? A dual dump and fill is a fine option IMO. Some will suggest a flush which I don't like to do, as it might cause more issues.

Thank you so much Tom. How do we know when we should do that? Not sure how to tell when it's time.

8,365

your owner's manual will tell you the intervals- usually from 30k to 50k miles between changes between manufacturers (GM is 50k for example). If the fluid is not pinkish red, just change it and the filter and start out fresh and keep track from now forward. Do not do a flush unless they know what they are doing or you can cause more harm than help.

What if the fluid is pinkish red?

8,365

then it should be good- if it was not good, it would have a brownish tinge and smell burnt.

12,005

A very good indicator of transmission condition is the following test. It has to have been a substantially long time since you wiped down the tranny dip stick for this to work. Get the engine/tranny up to temp and let sit till just warm. Then take a pure white cloth,pull the dipstick and wipe it down with the cloth. You will see some pink and most likely some blackish brown residue on the cloth. If you have a significant amount of black debris come from the stick it tells you there is much wear in tranny. The black material wear from the internal parts in the tranny. I do this test every time before I buy a vehicle.