2000 dodge durango losing oil pressure at 0 psi after motor warms 360

Asked by Jul 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM about the 2000 Dodge Durango SLT Plus

I bought a dodge durango for a 1000 dollars they said it just ran hot. I knew i was talking a chance but i bought it
anyway. Ended up being cracked heads so i bought some used heads off a 318 it was a 99 and got a valve job and
resurfaced them . Everything was fine except little lifter tap until i drove it and then oil pressure dropped to 0 psi but
hardly any change in sound of motor so im thinking maybe screen stopped up on oil pump or maybe had water in
the motor from sitting in my yard for 3 months or so without any heads on it. It did rain in motor only cause i was
planning on buying a used motor but came across heads cheep so i went this way with fingers crossed! I did take
valve cover off while motor was running and the lifters has bubbles of oil comming out them like the oil was seperati
g? It was the valve cover with the Pcv on it i had off though if it matters but when i drained oil to change it i did
notice the oil was already just as black and watery looking as it could be. Uncle messed up and bought me 10w-40
the next time and cheep puralitator filter just to see it it was just maybe some water from when mother sat up but it
done the same thing again so i drained oil again and same thing! Oil was black already and broke down real runny
like? Im thinking screen stopped up on oil pump or motor needs flushed and heavier weight oil put in it??? Why
would it burn up the oil so quick? Dirty motor? Maybe keep changing the oil till it might stay clear some aftet
changing if i can keep oil pressure up? I cant get the oil pan off without taking motor out i already tried, the motor
wont raise high enough! Any suggestions???

230

Check pressure in pistons(if ok),possable clogs in gallery ways and piston rods and pump,check gallery plugs, you might have to go over all your oil paths ,water in oil most of the times is kind of milky looking ,flush if you can keep running long enough before loosing pressure,heavy'er oil makes pump work harder to draw oil (not good) ,when a motor gets water inside first thing should have been pull motor ,pull pan and clean -,you might still have to pull the motor,oil pump may be loosing prime for some reason ,oil should be spitting or flowing heavly when valve cover removed not bubbling

Found a motor puller now im guess im fixen to take the motor out see if the screen stoped up go ahead and change oil pump look around a little on the inside and see what it looks like! Whats the best way to tell if cam us ok? Burnt spots? Scares? Same thing on main bearings to right? Like i said it made little noise and i know that was a lifter on my driver side

10

i would check your oil sending unit, oil pressure release valve, or pcv valve they can make it run high or low that and if you put to much oil in it can calls a problem in the oil pan

10

still researching this issue.ran across more then one of these issues. the Durango I just bought doesn't use oil or water.ran fine but would drop oil pressure while running.sending unit was replaced.I changed oil not long back.its not oil filter and I removed oil pan and inspected pick up tube.its OK and not a lot of sludge build up.the oil pump is in front or engine just behind timing chain.I have not done this yet but will do so.losing oil pressure several times has damaged bearings but still have not found problem.since I am seeing several posts about this problem thought I would say something.seems to not be rare problem.I will post more as I find out more.

I've looked up common problems on Durango's and the pick up screen in some was made too small and would of course clog up w/ sludge. Just came to mind reading these comments. I think it said you could get an adapter or just get a bigger screen. You could probably look up common problems on Durango's and find what I'm taking about.