someone try to steal my 2000 Chrysler Sebring (and out of my driveway on top of it!) w/out my key

10

Asked by Dec 06, 2014 at 06:25 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Sebring JXi Convertible

and when i went to start it after it happened, the car did start a few times but stalled,
right after, why? now it won't start at all, ALL the lights and everything works, but car
won't start. The WHOLE ignition piece is broke (apparently) and comes completely out
of where I put key in ignition. I thought for sure if I someone come and jumpstart the
car, it would start but to no avail. I am distraught and desperate. I need my car, it is
the only one we have! Any advice would help! thanks

70,215

You will have to replace your iginition switch and key,sound,s like it is damaged.

10

Thank you T_S_T,Ii kind of figured that but wanted to know why did the car start up for me like 3 more times AFTER it was damaged and broken into? Then after it started for me 3 or 4 times, just wouldn't start anymore? (I mean, they could have just stolen the car right there if it started up right?) but then just stopped starting suddenly? That is what I am curious about it...

10

...apparently they also tried to use a flatend screwdriver to steal my car...

10,920

Yeah ... Switch may be shot but ... the VAT will allow some cars to start then shut off after just a few seconds.... If it starts then shuts off at a consistent time delay it could be the VAT pick-up but that's probably OK so I'll stay optimistic and stay with T_S_T 's advice

10

Oh I see Tom...I think I have some type of 'chip' in my key or something? I am not sure (is that true? wasn't sure if that included the year 2000? or after the year 2000 for Chryslers?) anyways, sounds like from what you are saying is the thief may have been able to start the car, but not get very far with it anyways due to them (him/her?) not having the key to begin with, and it would probably just have stalled on them anyways if they did make it out of the driveway? I am not 100% sure, just taking a wild guess? this has never happened to me, i have lived in the same house for 15 years... So i am assuming the VAT probably kicked in when they attemped to put screw driver in car and it either started but stalled, or ...didn't start at all, OR they just got 'spoofed' or scared because of something? (I do have two dogs but they were in house at time of incident). Someone told me i have to get the WHOLE steering column replaced and everything, idk, I think just the ignition switch? I am very upset and confused, I am sorry to ask so many questions and be a pain in the a** but this has never happened to me, so I apologize. They also stole my son's radio and battery out of his Honda...low lifes with no respect at all.

10,920

The way the VAT is supposed to work (and it may be just the ignition Re;T_S_T advice) is it's not supposed to cut out if the car is moving for obvious reasons .. The dogs probably just thought it was "background noise". Your lucky not to have my dog. She's a small pit-bull but I think she's gay ... no doubt she would have let them in the house to get the keys if she thought they had a biscuit with them. The ignition switch should be straight forward ... normally you remove the shroud that it's recessed in and once you access the ignition you should see a pin (looks like the retract button on a ball-point pen) put your key in and turn it about a half turn then if you push that pin you can pull the tumbler out using the key as a means to pull. It's strange that the car does start with the present key but it's possible that all the contacts that are connected to the tumbler are damaged. If you need help ...re-programing the key just ask. BTW Home Depot will cut you a new key .. but they are pricey. I would buy a blank on Ebay and it should only cost a few bucks to get it cut ... but then you have to program it

10,920

Try to just change the tumbler first ... always start with the easiest fix . but odds are once you replace the tumbler you will have to reprogram. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/chrysler-sebring-key And get some good motion activated outside lights

10

Hi you guys, first off, thanks for answering my questions! I appreciate it! So, here is what happened, I had a mechanic come over to my house and he took my old steering column and ignition switch out, put new one in with new ignition switch and car still wouln't start due to the fact the computer locked up due to me trying to start it after the person tried to steal it, so now he says he has to go to dealer and they have to re set everything? However, I was told by someone else there may be a way around that? PLEASE help and tell me there is? something about welding something together? (since the a**hold thiefs completely cut the wires) so now I just spent $50 for a steering column and my car still doesn't start, I really would like to know any other options. Thanks you guys! (gals?). ally