disconnect amp under passenger seat Chrysler sebring

Asked by Aug 07, 2013 at 01:31 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Sebring JXi Convertible

car got flooded, now even without key in car there is crackling noises coming out of speakers and is draining the battery dead, already removed fuses to radio and amp

Ok first you need a new top to solve the water issue, the amp is done,chrysler want 500.00 for a new one, salvage yard item. If you go to the back window there will be a separation glass from vynil no glue adhesive or sealer will fix it replacement is the only solution. On replacement of amp place amp in a wal mart or dime store plastic bag connect plug ins on amp remove plugs add a thick grease to keep water out leave bag open at top as this unit has to breathe. Hope that helps check trunk light,or reading light on mirror for draw. (Dead battery)

3,435

Unsure of the question. If really flooded there is more than an amp to tend. The carpet and pad requires removal to restore, or after 13 years, replace. Correct the intrusion of water before putting vehicle back in service of course. The underseat location for sensitive electronics in a convertible has always puzzled me, and relocating it, or eliminating it altogether would be an option. The base model made the amp optional in 2000.

Tampering w wiring is not recomemded on this model per chrysler when i worked there other customers asked this the reason is location there is no place to move it to,w/o more issues w wiring, fix the top dry it out, if you have covered parking move it under cover or purchase a portable tent cover. To assisit in keeping it dry till top can be procured ebay oe tops starting at 358.00 - 150.00 less the heated glass. Viynl glass instead. Good luck

3,435

Ok. Point taken. The wiring is already compromised. There is now a fire hazard. The repair may exceed the vehicle value. I went through this with my old 2000 jxi. The amp can be removed and speakers connected directly to the radio head unit if it is undamaged, or if an amp is still desired, it could be moved to say, the trunk by a qualified installer. This will not be easy or inexpensive for cbell2426. Cheers.

30

Tommcmanis you are completely wrong. My top was 100% separated from the glass and stayed that way for more than 2 years. The canvas had shrunken so that it could not be pulled to touch the edge of the glass. After much research I put together an adhesive with activator/primer system which complete cost $35 from Amazon. I am not going to detail the proceedure here unless someone asks for it. My job looked factory perfect and even with the terrible force of stretching, the repair is better than OEM. It has been a year with the car sitting unprotected 7 to 10 days at a time every two weeks in the 110 degree sun of Laredo, Texas while I am out of town. The repair looks as good as the day I completed it. With my system if you have any mechanical aptitude, you need never buy a new top simply because the rear window has separated.

Thread rots top will still fall apart Dow 908 w to glass primer will hold till the top rips or the stitching fails. Doing it 50.00, doing it twice 100.00 plus frustration. Doing it right the first time priceless. Just saying. Come 20 degree weather and some shit heel at wal-mart, a new top will have been cheaper than interior. Being if the vinyl backing pops you'll be waiting till spring/summer to put it on. Snow ice rain thunderstorms.

30

I never It was waving a magic wand and making a new top. Obviously you have never replaced a convertible top sinc e you are referencing doing it right the first time. Every convertible ever made with a glass rear window turns loose eventually when it is necessarily left exposed to the elements most of the time. Repairing the window properly so as to get several more years out of the top, and maybe the life of the car, is one hell of a lot better than spending $500 to $1000 for a new top - not to mention the hell of installing it yourself. The choice is up to the car owner.

I work for chrysler