battery light keeps coming after I changed the battery

Asked by Jan 21, 2015 at 08:21 AM about the 2000 Chrysler Sebring JX Convertible

Hello, my battery light has been coming on and  off for the past two months. I have had my started replaced, battery replaced and my alternator is testing out fine. Last night I had my battery replaced and this morning on my way to work my battery light came back on.. What should I do next? Please HELP

130

It's your alternator going out. I had the same issue. When they tested it, it was fine. I changed battery and next day my light was on again and wouldn't start. Change alt and i was be good to go.

100

It is your alternator its your internal voltage regulator that's sometimes working its cheaper to replace with new alternator and you have a longer warranty (lifetime) at most part stores rather than a rebuilt from an individual

100

Always remember battery light comes on for alternator meaning it's your charging system it does not comes on for the battery itself specifically learned that over time and working at AUTOZONE .

Thank you both for the advice. I will be replacing my alternator as soon as possible.. hopefully this will solve the battery light issue

Also, Should I get a new alternator form the parts store, or a used one from the junkyard?

143,405

New or Rebuilt. Personally I would never put any used electrical part on my car

Ok, thanks FordNut! I don't think im going to rebuild it.. I would most likely buy a new one from the auto store... However, looking at the prices at the junk yard Im kind of leaning toward the junk yard, especially being that Im looking to get a new car in a couple months. I don't want to buy one brand new for 2 months. ya know

100

No junkyard AutoZone sometimes advance auto parts and usually popular car part stores carry a rebuilt with a lifetime warranty (meaning never have to pay again if it goes out take to AutoZone get a new one I have had a 100% good results with manufactured rebuilt parts they are built to new aspects just less expensive but the same warranty)

100

When supersportking say new he means rebuilt from part store and not the lowest grade with a one year warranty the mid grade is usually considered rebuilt with the most expensive part same warranty .

143,405

Ditto to what supersportking said ...then if/when you do trade in or sell your car you can tell them it has a new alternator, you are really taking a roll of the dice from a junkyard

35

misxy21 What is the condition of the car? If it good a new alternator will increase its resale if you sell it yourself. If you are going to trade it in, just get a charger and charge it every night. (Make sure to charge the car before taking it to the dealer). I drove my JXI with a blown alternator for about 6 months. 45 mile round trip the return with head lights on (work second shift). The lamp will turn on when the voltage drops below 13 volts this can be caused by: Blown Alt; lose or dirty connection at the alternator. lose or dirty connection at the battery. lose or dirty connection at the mast power bolts (the red and black connect jumper cable here bolts under the hood). Bad battery.

I will probably trade it in.. But I drive a lot so I need to get something asap.. I've had the alternator tested three times , diff days, and they all told me that it was charging up @ 14.1, which is a little higher than normal.. I replaced the battery last night. And today as I drove to and from work the battery light was on the entire time.. So I'm thinking to just replace the alternator

100

Do know an alternator over charging is no better than one that is not charging and that'd what I pointed out thisorning the built in VOLTAGE REGULATOR (That regulates the voltage that the alternator pits out ) is going out and all that charging the battery up is too much work for anybody buying a charger is a portion of what an alternator would cost and by the way FORDNUT SEEMED real knowledgeable as well , you buy an alternator one time another car note would come every month but you decide its your call .

120

I may be answering this question a little late but it's nothing to do with your alternator. The red wire that goes from the back of your alternator to your battery is bad. Its a 10 gauge or 8 gauge wire

30

I changed my alternator , and my light still comes on, what can that be from,?

30

Could it be my ambient air temperature sensor, because when unplugged , it runs check engine/ battery light,