Is there fuse or relay for the starter.

80

Asked by Jun 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Sebring JX Convertible

I tried starting the car and it started but would not keep running.  I tried it three times and tried to accelerate but it just died out.  After the fourth try, nothing.  I turn the key and nothing happens.  All the lights, radio, door bell all work, but nothing.  No clicks, or any sound at all.  Help

90

It sounds like you've got a couple problems. The second one is that your battery is probably dead. Re-charge the battery and then have your charging system tested--most auto parts stores will charge your battery for free if you bring it to them (plan on leaving it overnight). And the same stores often have the equipment to test your charging system. Zabe Kriesten www.mechanicspeak.com http://www.facebook.com/MechanicSpeak http://www.tumblr.com/blog/mechanicspeak @MechanicSpeak

80

I tried to jump it with my other car and it did not work. All my lights and radio work, but it just wont start. If the battery was dead, would I have lights, radio and horn? I am so confused

90

Your battery could have enough charge to run the lights and radio, but not enough to turn over the engine. And it is common that the jumper cables were too cheap or the electrical connections were not good enough to charge it. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage of the battery. If not, remove it and take it to a parts store where they can test or charge it for you. And here's an article with some info on what else could cause a no-crank: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-engine-will-not-crank-over Zabe Kriesten www.mechanicspeak.com http://www.facebook.com/MechanicSpeak http://www.tumblr.com/blog/mechanicspeak @MechanicSpeak

20

It could be just a bad connections on your battery terminals (corrossions). Or it is a "dead" alternator that's not charging the battery. If you have a bad alternator, it does not complete the charging system, everytime you turn on your engine... you are only using the power of the battery until it drains out of power.

130

i have the same problem...my car wont start biy evrything will work on the assessories but i changed the starter fuse. amd tried starting it again and it wont start but still have everything besides turning over the engine

6,595

sounds like a possible security issue. an invalid key will allow it to turn over three times, then lock you out. NO CRANK Are you using key without gray head? or does your vehc. use the black head key?

190

change the fuse number 8 amp 20...in the fuse box, same problem yesterday

100

I have a sebring convertible 2.7 2003 year. battery charge connected to the second charged battery with new cables, lights up everything, but just turn the key on the last step, everything is shut down and the starter motor will not start / turn on. all the fuses in the engine and in the car are ok. (Starter relay burnt ? ) where I can buy the parts on the Internet? in Italy cost me too much spare chrysler, here 'are all thieves.

70

Try using a 25amp fuse make sure you really turn the key.. in the number 8 location in the fuse box under the hood.. the ignition switch may be going out, or may need to test the starter, and fuel relays.....

Hi Everyone, thank you for everyone's suggestions , I had the same situation as many of you , regarding , Car alarm activating , car was unable to start , ignition and radio was not working , followed the advice of looking into fuse#8 and it worked , I replaced it and it started THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for the advice I got first time here , but definitely gonna continue , by the way I have a Sebring 97 convertible , so I'll definitely keep Intouch with this blog , one tip I can give , if no fuse available use temporary one from the inside left side driver side , ofcourse something that's not to important . And replace afterward Good luck everyone.

Mine did the same thing, and guess what it was a burn fuse so check all your fuses before this happens again. Replaced fuse and started right up.

20

My girlfriend's car had the same issue. I changed fuse #8 with another 20amp and it worked. Thanks so much!

90

My 2000 Chrysler Sebring is having the exact same problem! Witch one is fuse #8 because they are not labeled by number in my car! I have a picture of my fuses but it won't let me share the picture in my comments! Someone please help my car has been broken down for 3 months

90

We replaced the starter and the battery. And it won't turn on but my lights and everything work!

40

I have the same issue in my 06 Chrysler Sebring. So I jumped started the battery forts couple times that did it, but this 3rd time that didn't work. Buddy found it was a fuse and I replaced Fuse 8, but the second time I started it the fuse blew. Same hung when I replaced the fuse again, started up 3x separately then didn't start again

20

Miguel C did you ever get your car fix my us doing the same thing I took my battery out took it to auto parts store they said it was great I have changed the fuses #8 but nothing is working help if you can thanks

10

I have a 2003 Chrysler Sebring and I re place the battery and it is turning over but want crank

50

I have a Chrysler 1998 convertible were do I find the fuse #8 and my car won't start radio is off don't turn on at all

Same issue on my 2008 Sebring convertible, I put fuel 89, it cut fuse #16 I replaced it, and now it's working.... Will see what happens.... Good luck peeps!

10

Same issue fuse burning out changed battery and fuse when i try to start it the fuse blows everytime

10

And the car wont start it seems to be a short I dont want to change starter if I don't have to

20

It's the fuse 8 under the hood, not inside the car. Same thing happened, the battery is good, alternator is new. I replaced the fuse twice and it blew immediately again both times.

10

This is crazy 2006 won't start changed battery cleaned connections :now getting clicking still will not start. Check starter an connections OK ??? Last resort before hook put battery starter on max start.car Started!!! Why I do not no.good luck to other Sebring owners Ron.

30

I have a 2006 sebring and my car was being wirked on it was running before working on it but now it wont start lights radio all work but car will not start i was told it was the antitheft system any other opinions will be greatly aporeciated

30

I have a same issue 98 Sebring everything comes on but no crank help please

20

I ended up replacing the starter and everything is fine now.

10

Definitely do not waste your time w/ changing fuses or relays!!! I went through this for several months repair people would not believe it was the starter!! Finally found one who put a new starter on and problem went away!!!! So tell your repair man just do the starter and quit playing games!!

10

I have had problems with my 05 Sebring. So me and my friend replaced the starter thinking that was it. Eventually, it ran for a bit then quit again. We then looked up more causes for failure to start. Our conclusion came to either the crank shaft sensor. What this does is measure the speed of the crank shaft and reports data to the computer system. One of the symptoms for this is failure to start so check that. If that is all good then it could be the alternator.

I bought a 06 Sebring 8 days ago. Today it wouldn't start, jumping it did no good. I changed fuse #8 and it blew twice, so I used a 25 and it worked. I brought it back to the dealer and he had a guy look at it, he put in a 20 and it worked. What's the deal? Am I in the clear, or is this going to keep happening?

Its a problem with your fuse box it always happens with Chryslers would not crank or turn over

10

Just had the same thing happen. Dead battery, charged it, tried starting, it would start briefly then die. Happened 3 times then on 4the attempt,wouldn't even crank. It was an anti-theft measure...closed hood, locked door, then unlocked. Got in, it started immediately & no problems since.

I experienced this same issue just this week. I went to start the car and it would not even crank the starter. Tried to jump it, no luck. I had headlights, fan blower, interior lights, only the radio would not work. I then happened upon this site and checked the fuses in the engine bay. I pulled #8 and it was burned through. I replaced it and voila, it started just fine. So far so good...

my chrysler sebring 07 will turn over but wont crank someone please help me