Has anyone ever been sold a certified used car and then found out that it had been in an accident and repaired. I'm being told that that information does not have to be shared with the customer. If the dealership can push it through the certification process then it isn't important.

55

Asked by Mar 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM about the 2009 Nissan Sentra FE+ 2.0 SL

I purchased a certified used car from Nick Abraham Nissan.  I began having front end problems with the finish and suspension with in 3 months of purchase.  I initially thought that the odometer had been tampered with, I purchased a carfax only to find that it had been in an accident 1 year previous.  When I brought this to the attention of Mike Abraham he told me he had no knowledge of the accident and that as far as the car being certified it wasn't a concern and the repairs were "normal wear".  In doing some more research I have found, with Nissan at least, the company and the dealership do not feel they need to share any previous damage history with the customer as long as they can push the vehicle through the certification process.

223,035

I always ask for the carfax and do a pre purchase inspection by an independent mechanic before purchase. BTW: Some vehicle that are in major accidents, the incidents never show up in a carfax report if never reported. But to answer your question, I have read many times of people purchasing cars from certain dealerships and finding out there were in an accident. Hopefully your dealership will stand by the certified car and repair it accordingly. Good Luck!

16,565

Wow, if you got the Carfax and it didn't show up, that's pretty bad! I imagine that you drove the car first and looked it over carefully? You could have asked to have your independent mechanic inspect it if you had questions, sorry you didn't think of that first. Unfortunately, you made the cardinal sin of purchasing a car from a dealership that does not sell brand new cars of the model you purchased. I looked up this dealer and while they sell American cars in Ohio, they also sell used cars of different makes like the one you purchased. Someone must have traded in that car to them and who know how that slipped past Carfax. Since this dealer has no relationship with Nissan corporate, I think you're going to be SOL on this one.

16,565

Hey, did you really buy a CPO car ? The reason I ask, is that I purchased my Subaru last year and they handed me a report with a checklist of 152 items including the suspension, etc. Didn't the dealer offer one to you for your Nissan? Maybe they didn't because your car dealer is an authorized Nissan Dealer. If I were you on second thought, I would call Nissan Corporate. How can they claim to sell you a CPO car when it has not passed inspection. and let me tell you the frame is definitely one of the items on this list. It was the second section on my report. If you do have the report, go back to the dealer and grill them. That will make them very uncomfortable. Why do you think the odometer was tampered with? You may want to check with local authorities, that's a crime.

130

Talk to a Lawyer......