Overheating 2000 Chrysler LHS

75

Asked by Apr 09, 2012 at 02:48 PM about the 2000 Chrysler LHS 4 Dr STD Sedan

Lost heat in car about month ago, mechanic says gummed up blender door??? Three weeks ago car overheated for the first time in over 100,000 miles, brought it in and the mechanic tested for exhaust in radiator, which was negative and replaced thermostat, car ran for about 800 miles with no problems. Other day coming home from work about 10 miles in overheated again. Any ideas about what is going on? Oh, there isnt any antifreeze in oil, no funny smell on dip stick. No smoke and car was running with all the normal power I have known with this car. Also cooled down quickly, yet warmed quickly too. I did have a new water pump put in less than 4-5 months ago also.

825

Blender Door, is the "door" that moves to direct air form the front window, to vent, to floor. You have electric fans... are they kicking in? If not, it may be the temperature switch, that activates the fans, or maybe the fans themselves. Could also be rad is clogged, or low level of rad fluid. No heat could also be a clogged heater core. Do you have a belt squeal?

6,755

Do you have a 2.7L DOHC or 3.2 or 3.5L??

75

I have a 3.5L, yes the belts are squeeling, also the fans by the radiator werent coming on, and we pulled the fuse and reinserted it, the fan came on but also the check engine light came on also. I am losing antifreeze somewhere, not in large quantities, but im not sure if it is evaporating because of the overheating?

6,755

When you pull the radiator fan fuse the fans automatically turn on to prevent overheat, bet the CEL code is P1491. tell me this try disconnecting the positive battery terminal on the junction box. Wait 10 minutes. Reach in and grab the left and right radiator cooling fan blades, try to spin them do they spin free with no drag? If no the fan motors are shot. If you remove the fuse the high circuit activates and is usually only the left fan motor, same as A/C compressor turning on to cool the condensor.

6,755

Oh and if you do have a belt squeal, is there antifreeze on the belt? Just wondering the water pump is internall, and if it is leaking you need to shut it down and get it towed, all three engines are interference engines which means if the pump either lets go or locks up and takes out the timing belt that there is nothing to stop the valves from contacting the pistons.

75

I had the pressure test done, there is a leak by the intake valve. not sure if it was caused by the fans not working though.... I dont know what to do. Do I sell the car, fix the leak and see what happens? I guess he needs a hose and the intake gasket to repair.

125

if i lived near you i could help you out but im in oklahoma but what it sounds like to me is that the lower air intake seal is bad it could be leaking out and dripping on the belt off of the hose. that's just me thought though i do the mechanic work on my own.

20

I have replaced the radiator, the dual fan assembly, fuses, thermostat, alternator, new battery, new tires all four with 3,200 miles 60,000 mile warranty. And radiator cap....and it still get hot and after about 5 miles driving and cools down fast when i open the radiator cap...I was told that i might have put the thermostat in backwards by the Chrysler Dealer? and that it might be the water pump? But it does not leak...

6,755

just becasue the pump isn't leaking don't mean it is not bad. could be weak and or spinning on the shaft. the thermostat goes in spring side first on the housing so the front of the thermostat would be installed facing the lower engine block

30

by car keep running hot put a brand new thermostat via brand new water pump and a brand new radiator still run hot the waters. Basis of to the oil it don't smoke what could be the problem

90

Chris I have overheating problems with my 99 lhs and I pulled relay and one fan works (driver side) but when I put fuse back in neither fan works what does this mean?