The malfunction indicator light came on (OBD II) and the car started running as if it were misfiring. It only has 50,000 miles on it. I checked the tranny fluid and it was ok. What else can I check?

25

Asked by May 06, 2007 at 01:01 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Concorde LXi

Yesterday for the very first time, the OBD II light came on my panel.  When I first started my car it was running very rough, even at idle.  I wasn't sure what the light was and pulled over to see, thought it was the transmission and checked the fluid level, it was fine.  Brought it home, which was a very short drive, less than one mile.  But, now I am not sure what else it could be.  The owners manual is vague.  It says emissions, engine and transmission control systems.  But there wasn't any problem with the automatic shifting.  It just felt like it was a rough idle.  Hope you can help!

16,040

Dear mopargirl-- The OBDII warning light came on to warn you that something might be wrong with your car. Fortunately, the OBDII system usually has the answer to what the problem is. But, you must take your car to a professional who can hook your car up to a computer-like device that reads these codes and produces an answer. You should not be driving this misfiring car until you know what is wrong. Good luck from Bovan.

25

I did just that and found out that it was a bad engine coil on one of the cylinders. Don't worry, I had her towed to avoid any problems. Those computers diagnosed the problem right away. What a system! Got it fixed in one day and drove her home, just like new.