my son has a cirrus 2000. It is saying that a door is open so that the interior lights stay on, even though no doors are open. Have tried everything we can think of. Any ideas?

5

Asked by Aug 17, 2007 at 02:13 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Cirrus 4 Dr LX Sedan

It is reading on the dash that a door is open.  The interior lights stay on.  My son tried to repeatedly open and close the doors firmly.  He turned the car off and on.  He examined the sides of the doors to see if the tabs or buttons or whatever they are called are broken in any way and nothing was obvious.  He found the fuse box but does not knwo what he would or should do.

31,355

I know that usually there is a "button" near where the hinges are that is pushed in when you close the door that should shut the lights off. It could be that either that is broken or the wiring to the sensor is broken or loose. You could check to see which fuse controls the inside lights and remove the fuse, at least for now so that the battery won't die.

20

I had that very same problem from when once i tried to close the door the seat belt latch got closed in the door by accident..denting the door...exactly where the button would normally get pushed in by the door meeting the body. ..when shut. So what I did was look at the door where the button left a mark on it...used that location to tape about two pennies together against themselves, then i duct taped them over the dent where the button meets the door. Basically the dent in the door was preventing that button from being pushed all the way down to register the door as closed. I did that as literally a 2 cent fix and i haven't had that problem since.

Lesley. I found the identical situation with my driver's side door: a dent preventing the switch from being depressed! A few layers of electrician's tape on the dent solved the problem . 1997 Cirrus. 06JAN2015.