What is causing rattle

Asked by Jul 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM about the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland and sometimes when I hit a bump a rattle starts. I can feel it under the console between the front and back seats. If I stop then go in reverse then back forward the rattle stops, until I hit another bump. This sound increases as speed increases. It sounds like something is rubbing against the driveshaft.

2,175

Check the drive shaft for sure, might be something loose especially if you feel vibration, could be a U-Joint, transmission support bracket might have come loose.

10

Make sure your Parking Brakes cables are clear of the shaft.If you see the protective rubber on the cables are wearing out and the drive shaft is shining .then perhaps it's were the noise is, I found out after hitting some pot-holes

20

Hi All, I have the same rattling noise problem on my grand jeep cherokee laredo. It started a few times when I hit some rough spots on the road. I would hit the brakes before and it would stop. Now I reverse the car and would stop a bit but it's now constant and it gets loud as the car goes faster. The engine light is on and off also and the car shakes/vibrates as soon as I start the engine. Dealer/repair shop said just add dry gas in the gas tank and it should stop it. I am totally frustrated and no one can seem to find out what's going on. Is there supposed to be a recall on this model besides the ignition key section? One mechanic said it's coming from the drive shaft and might need to replace something in the transfer case? Anyone had luck fixing this problem on their jeep?

20

I also read on one website that there is supposed to be a recall on the transfer case and when I mentioned it to Chrysler they said the only recall they have on record is the ignition. Anybody have any ideas or solution to these issue?

I have the same problem but mine is my wheel bearings causing the wheel to vibrate but now I have a new problem. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 inline 6 with 100k on the dash. When in park it makes a rattling noise from underneath the vehicle. Sounds like it's coming from the bell housing. Any ideas what it could be?

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and mine is doing the same thing! If I hit a bump just right, the vibration starts, and won't stop until I hit another bump just right. This can happen anywhere from once to three or four times a week, and can last just a few yards up to 18 miles. Of course it won't do it when I'm at my mechanic's, so any ideas would be very appreciated.