putting a used engine brought from salvage

Asked by May 11, 2012 at 07:03 PM about the 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXi Coupe

hey  my local mechanic guy is replaying  engine on my 2001 Chrysler sebring  lxi .he told me that we should
change timing gear chain in it for safe side any suggestion it don't sound right  

With a salvage motor your taking a huge risk as you don't know the history of the engine. Why he's just replacing the timing chain and not other things, I'm not sure. Did he take a look at the chain to determine it was shot, does the motor run properly? While it doesn't sound wrong, it might be unnecessary, but without more info, I can't help further.

Nice vehicle. The 2001 coupes were assembled sharing Mitsubishi Eclipse frame and components I believe. The lxi had a 3 liter mitsubishi engine with a timing belt. Most japanese manufacturers recommend belt replacement at 60k miles because if it fails, the engine will seize. Not knowing the precise engine history, I think your mechanic is sensible to change it as a precaution.

Carsten Helgi Salomonsen

Its a must, to change the timing belt and waterpump when you buy a salvaged engine (waterpump drives on the same belt as the timing gear). Waterpump is ok for 120 k miles from the manufacturer, your mechanic is right on the money, if the timing belt goes you might as well buy a new engine again.

Bill Morrow

@Matthew Stephen your answer is a little exaggerated. Everyone knows that engine has issues with oil and sludge, but they don't seize at 70k miles. If they did Chrysler would have a PR nightmare. Personally my engine went 170k before I blew it, but I made a judgement call to call to keep driving while overheating, (had my daughter in the car over 100 degrees outside I didn't want to get stranded), which caused mine to blow. I agree with the rest of what you said though. On the newer 2.7's at least they don't have a cap and rotor, it's the new system.