Water in area BEHIND back seat / where top folds into.

Asked by Jan 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM about the 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible

For about 3 months now, when it rains, I get a HUGE puddle of water that collects in the area behind the back seat where the top folds into.  when it rains, I can actually see it pour in.  It is coming from the two bolts in the back that are nearest to the end.  (Sorry, I do not know what they are for...Im a woman).  They are two bolts that look like it holds down the carpeting and a stetchy piece that looks like it attatches to the inside convertible top. If I look into the rear break light (above the trunk), there is condensation in there.  My thought is.....that I have water getting in through the big black piece that surrounds the break light.  Is there a drain that runs under there that may be clogged/blocked?  If I pop the trunk, I can see about 5 or 6 bolts that holds this piece down.  Maybe I need to remove this piece and possibly unclog a drain OR maybe a seal needs to be replaced.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  If you could, could you email me at   labtranscription@gmail.com  as I do not have computer access all of the time where I can get the answer.  I can get emails on my phone.  Thank you for your help. ~  Lisa

3,645

The moisture in the brake light is common, and any that works under the black trim will weep into the trough around the trunk opening and away. There are 5 metal strips that hold down the top fabric, behind the carpet under the rear window. Moisture passing this will fall into a trough that runs beneath this area, between the rear windows. It is then carried into the cavity under the rear windows and out the weep holes to ground. Check the fabric is trimmed close to the bottom of the strips so droplets fall into this channel. Look for tears or cuts in the top,(using flaslight) and make sure bolts through metal strips are secure. Check also for any corrosion or body damage that may have affected the integrity of the moisture removal design. If you still have water intrusion, check with an auto upholstery/convertible top shop, or dealer service for advice. They will know about issues with your specific model. After you have solved the problem, if the carpet is musty, I have found borax dissolved in water and brushed liberally, blotted, dried and vacuumed, removes mold and odor without bleaching carpet. Good luck Lisa.

New top ebay. Glass pops from top its done WILL NOT RESEAL EVER