Can I use Lucas fuel treatment in a 2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo?

30

Asked by Sep 27, 2015 at 09:31 AM about the 2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo Sedan FWD

23,835

Why do you think you need it? I don't believe in using additives.

30

I bought the car last week. Noticed a small amount of dark smoke coming from exhaust. Took it in to the Buick dealer and they said it could be just the gas and it was sulfur and if there was something wrong the cars computer would pick up on it. Just wondering if this would help.

269,745

I'm with Mark, no need to use additives, it couldn't hurt, but why waste the money. Does the car run OK, any lights lit up on the dash?

30

Yes, car seems to be running ok. Since I just recently bought the car it seems to be running fine. The black exhaust concerned me. The Buick dealer just said run a few tanks through and you'd be fine. The car is flex fuel so I just wanted to be sure adding a gas treatment would not hurt the vehicle. I have been unable to find any searches on this subject. Thank you for your help.

58,085

I really don't care for Lucas products. If you want a really good fuel additive, try Techron by Chevron. It is available at most auto parts stores and some Walmarts. It is good stuff.

Ditto.

23,835

Melody- just curious, how much miles are on your 2011? I noticed that you said you just purchased this car last week. Did you purchase this car from the dealer? And, if you did, they should work very hard to repair anything that's wrong with your car for the first 90 days or so, unless it was sold "as is". I'm thinking that you may have purchased it from a private party? If that's the case, hopefully this car was well maintained and you got a good price. Costco has really good fuel at a low price, and if you purchase gasoline at the same regular station it will be easier to assure you're getting top quality fuel. If you suspect a particular station where you may have gotten bad gas obviously avoid that. Good luck.

30

Yes i did buy it from a small local dealer. The regal has 30,000 miles on it. I thought I noticed a smell earlier this week and when I was washing and waxing it I noticed black on the tailpipes. Then I saw some black smoke coming out. Not a ton of smoke but some. So I called the dealer they said it was still under factory warranty so to take it to the Buick dealer. I did and service guy said just to run a few tanks through it will be fine. He said if there's a problem a light will go off. He said it's just sulfur. I'm still on my first tank of gas. So this is why I was wondering if a gas treatment would help? I have never had a car that has put out dark exhaust. I'm just a little concerned. Thank you for your help

28,635

yes...but do one better > ZMAX !!!

23,835

Melody, that's remarkably low mileage! It should run like a brand new car.

30

I love it! the Car rides like a dream and runs like a new car expect the exhaust thing. So ZMAX is a good one to go with?

58,085

Zmax is expensive and the results are to be debated. Put some Techron in it. About $6.00 per bottle. Techron is the same additive in Chevron gasoline. It is a proven product, but not a magic cure all.

23,835

Melody, I would take all of these claims with a grain of salt, read this article below about an old campaign in the 70s for F-310 by Chevron and ask is this another iteration of the same old same old stuff? And, just purchase fuel from a top tier station, you can find a list online. In the meantime, see this, http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2014/03/17/if-you-cant- join-em-beat-em-the-day-that-gasoline-went-clean-and-got-whacked/

23,835

Melody, was your car purchased as a certified used car? And, you mentioned a small local dealership, are they in just used cars or do they sell brand new cars as well?

30

It was just a used car lot, not certified.

23,835

That's unfortunate, I hope you were able to get a warranty? You didn't purchase this "as is", did you? But, I'll bet you got it for a good price? Hopefully, everything will be OK? Hey, next time you're in the market for another vehicle, try and look for a CPO lease return at a new car dealership. Why? They're normally the highest quality used cars to be found anywhere. They frequently have much more miles than what you found. I purchased my Subaru Outback Limited when it was four years old with 66,000 miles. You would have never known that the car had this kind of mileage. I was fortunate to be able to purchase an extended warranty on the car up to 100,000 miles and three years. You know, I'm always a little skeptical about a car with too few miles, sounds too good to be true. I suppose that it's possible especially if you live in a small town, which might be your case? Out here in SoCal, it's almost impossible to imagine a 4 year old car with only 30,000 miles. Yes, it happens, but, it's rare. And, a lot of times, in smaller towns, it's just hard to find a new car dealership let alone a lease return CPO car. I understand. And, I had to pay a premium price for my CPO car. So, there's a trade off either way. The major key to success in a used car is condition and maintenance records, if you are convinced that the car was taken care of regardless of the milease your fine. So, enjoy your car, purchase gas from one of any of the big fuel providers, Chevron, Shell, ARCO, even Costco is fine, they get their fuel, one of the leading refineries sources. Skip the additives and save your money for regular maintenance on your car and you'll be fine. Regards, -- Mark

23,835

Sorry for the typo, in my last post, should have said, "regardless of mileage "... spell check sometimes does that to me. (LOL)