Will a new water pump possibly stop my car from overheating and leaking coolant?

Asked by Jul 18, 2015 at 02:41 PM about the 2001 Chrysler LHS 4 Dr STD Sedan

Car overheats  even though replaced radiator 3 weeks ago. Has 190,000 miles. Could it be the water pump. Also have to add coolant every 5 miles. Is it advisable to replace the timing belt at the same time? It was replaced at 90,000 miles with a water pump then.

If coolant is not visibly leaking out, I would have the engine pressure tested. You may have a bad head gasket. Not much sense in wasting money on parts if the problem is really your head gasket. You should be noticing heavy white smoke from the exhaust if you're burning it. Or milky oil if it's getting into your oil.

Patrick Harnden

Agreed.. borrow a coolant pressure tester and perform a leak down test. This is a sealed system if your adding coolant your leaking it somewhere either internally or externally. With losses such as you describe sounds external. Your engine would barely run if you were suckling in a gallon every 5 miles. If you can't see the leak. Top it up . Run the car. Put a large piece of cardboard under the engine . Look for wet spots.

Bob Beaman

I doubt a water pump will fix it, but it is possible. More likely a head gasket or cracked cylinder head. Patrick, I once had a 93 cougar that would put out coolant as fast as you could pour it in and it ran fine. It had a bad head gasket.

My 2001 Chrysler LHS that was severally overheating turned out to be a VERY BAD Water Pump with broken & bent fins. Had a new timing Belt Pulley's and new Water pump installed. Car has 190,300 Miles. Now runs good, other than vibration at idle. Repair was $833.63. Is that a fair price?

My ex girlfriend had her Camry timing belt, water pump, and pulleys changed out 6 years ago and they charged her over a grand to fix it. So, yes, you got a fair price.

Best Answer

Anyone who doubted water pump was incorrect. Thank goodness head gaskets OK. Hopefully another 100,000 miles more for my 2001 Chrysler LHS!