Any one get an engine light come on and not go off? Ever been told it's because of a loose gas cap?

50

Asked by May 04, 2010 at 10:07 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi

2002 chysler sebring lxi v6  2.7L

8,600

When your check engine light comes on you need to get the codes read to find out the issue. It may not be just a loose gas cap but something more serious.

6,675

take the car to advanced auto or o'reilys. they have free diagnostics. it will find the problem for you and give you the option to clear the check engine light

50

Thanks Larry and Chase, When I asked the dealership to check the light they immediately added $145.00 to my bill as this is apparently the standard charge to check an engine light. So, after a long time of trying to figure out why the light was on, diagnosis: loose gas cap. Thanks for the info about codes and where to get free diagnostics then an OPTION to have the light reset. Rob

8,600

I know a lot of auto store will check the codes however I've heard people say they won't clear them for you. If not you can simply pull the ecm fuse or battery to reset it after the problem has been fixed.

445

a loose gas cap is a very common thing to set the check engine light.

285

The "Check Engine" light is programmed, on every post-80's model Mopar I've owned, to automatically come on at certain mileage intervals. Yep, most times (if you've provided proper maintenance), the only thing causing that light to come on the whatever mileage point you've recently rolled... typically 35K, 75K, etc. It is a way, as you have found out, for the Chrysler dealership to get you back in the bay doors so that they can charge you to run the scanner, usually tell you everything is OK, and turn off the light! When I fell for this, they were only charging $75... sorry you got burned for so much more! I found out about this little scheme from the Chrysler mechanic at that visit and, from then on, have taken mine to O'Reilly's or Auto Zone to have them perform the same service for free! Don't get me wrong, I love MOPAR, and I'm sure most other auto manufacturers have similar scams running... can you say PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE?! ;o)

55

it usely happens when u leave the car running when you fill up lot of the newer vehicles do that the only way to clear code is to unplug the battery for 15 to 45 mins. or take to someone who can hook the machine to clear code like a dealer

225

I just got a call from the dealer that is working on my 97 Sebring convertible with 2.5 engine. It is ready BUT, the check engine light is on and they were not able to get it to turn off! I'lll be able to read the codes from the key switch but clearing should only take disconnecting the battery (which they did). Any ideas?

310

Yes, i have a 2007 sebring and for the past week or so the gas cap light kept coming on and I would get out the car and adjust it and then it would go off and now the check engine light is on.

310

yes, I have a 2007 sebring and a about a week or so ago the gas cap light kept coming on. I would adjust it and it would go off and now the check engine light is on

165

Yes I've been told that before. But if you don't want to pay a huge amount to find out why the light is on you have two choices. One choice is to buy a code reader for about what they charge to tell you it was the gas cap or you go by one of the parts stores and asked them to scan it for you with their tool. It is completely free there for them to do it and they can tell you the same thing and get you the part too. I have a reader for the older gms and it was around $20 ten years ago and the newer ones for around $100 to be the cheapest. They are well worth it if you do your own work. I had a autozone tell me it was the number spark plug after checking it there and I changed it there and it was perfect afterwards.

30

You guys apparently got off lucky if all you had to pay is less than $200 to fix your CEL in your Sebring. After a free code scan at Autozone it was code P0455, which was related to the emissions. I knew it was not the fuel cap so I took it to the dealer. Last night they calle dme and it has something to do with an emissions module that is part of the fuel tank. The entire fuel tank has to be replaced and I was told it will be over $1,100. I told them to go ahead. I used to say that I would be keeping my 2007 Sebring for a long, long time because of its lifetime powertrain warranty. Now it is beginning to irritate me. One more major repair bill and we might part ways.

80

To check codes without any special scanner: reset trip odometer to "0" holding it in for a few seconds turn ignition key all the way on and then off three times read codes off odometer and google them. unfortunately still have to disconnect battery to reset, but easy to see what codes are in your system

130

Thanks for finally letting these people in on the secret. Yikes!! Anyone with a chrysler can read codes on the odometer within seconds. Key off, move to on, acc, on, acc, etc a few times and voila, code on the odometer screen. Yall just get a book and read where the codes and symptoms lead you. Then based on symptoms, causes/events if applicable, and codes you can Dx it yourself...all for free. That whole gas tank story is about the craziest sebring dealership scam Ive ever heard. How absurd. Doesnt even sound close to a sebring issue. I cant believe people fall for this stuff. Im a woman with a master degree and medical career but I can read directions to work on my own car! It really is like changing a light bulb. You should know your vehicle as intimately as your spouse...well, maybe just your kids :D. No weird stuff necessary. Car mechanic industry is really the biggest scam. Mechanics dont know any more.than you can read in the books. And the auto.stores arent supposed to clear codes but if you bat your lashes right, theyll do it. But again, no need to go anywhere, clear with battery. Also, once problem has been repaired it will clear itself after a few cycles. If the problem isnt fixed, it will just come back. The chrysler mil also does not come on for routine changes, tune ups, etc. That sounds like a conspiracy theory.

130

Oh yeah, gas cap mil is very common. If you have to keep fidgeting with it, get a new cap. Theyre like 5$, seriously.

30

Hi, guys (and gals). I'm the one who spent over $1,100 for a new fuel tank and some sort of emissions module inside it about a year ago. That cleared up the problem for several months but it returned. Fortunately, the dealer has a lifetime guarantee for any parts they install. They supposedly replaced it with yet another new fuel tank assembly at no cost to me. Same problem a few months later. It is currently back at the dealer AGAIN for some emissions related fault code. They've had it for 5 days and I told them I hope they finally get it fixed this time. This is the 6th time within the last two years that I have taken it to them to get this problem fixed. We shall see.

10

I have a 2002 Sebring Lxi and had the same problem with the check engine light coming on. A lot of times it is just that you are not turning the cap enough, so I make sure I hear a few clicks after I fill up. Or as another mentioned if the cap is worn you just need to replace the cap. I don't have anymore problems now that I do that!

30

I wish mine was as simple as a loose or defective gas cap. I replaced it with a new OEM cap and made sure I clicked it at least 3x whenever I was tightening it. The problem was still there. The last time when I took it in several months ago they replaced some emissions vacuum pump (again). Fortunately, it was free under their "fixed for life" guarantee. The problem has not reappeared since then. It is still a hassle having to leave my car at the dealer for several days whenever this GASCAP fault appears. Hopefully, this will fix it for good.

10

Also, go get one of the code readers and carry it with you. everytime the light comes on, go in and clear all the codes and your sebring will run better.....promise...I.ve done it abunch....

sometimes the light gets on when you use higher octanage fuel.. if you check the catalog they recommend 84-87 octanage

30

Mine ended up being a dirty filter upstream of an ESIM switch. Although they had replaced the switch several times, it kept going bad due to the bad filter. They FINALLY tracked own the cause of all the problems and replaced that filter. All has been well for over a year now.