Does my 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX use Freon for cooling?

Asked by Jul 25, 2016 at 02:45 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX

I just took my Chrysler Sebring LX 2002 in because the blower was only blowing hot air, but the issue is intermittent. Sometimes it blows cold, but it seems like when it gets really hot out it cuts out and just blows hot air. They said it just needs 8 oz of coolant. That didn't sound right to me. I just put some coolant in it. Now I'm paying them 200.00 to do something I could easily have done myself. So I'm just wondering if they shouldn't have vacuumed it out and put new in? I don't know much about cars, obviously.

35

They probably shouldn't have vacuumed it out. It's ok that they did, but 200.00 is pretty steep. Adding freon (the chemical that makes your air cold) would have probably worked. I can point you in a direction that will show you how to add freon if you'd like?

46,115

Freon is a Brand name and although it is used by many people to describe refrigerants of all kinds this terminology is not actually correct. Your vehicle uses a refrigerant called R-134a. Evacuating the system, pulling a vacuum and installing the correct refrigerant by weight is the proper way to charge the A/C system. Many time just adding refrigerant works, but it is not the best way. Do some reading on "Freon" here at the link.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freon

46,115

Also A/C work is best left to the experienced tech. as doing it yourself can be dangerous to you and your vehicle.

18,510

I agree with Bob and also you may have a leak in the system that is why you may have put some refrigerant / freon in it but it has leaked out.