Odd 2002 Chrysler Sebring Ignition Problem

10

Asked by Jul 29, 2013 at 02:09 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX

I am having some issues with my 2002 Chrysler Sebrings ignition switch. The problem started the other day, I went to shut the car off and the key would not turn all the way to the off position, which forced me to leave the car as it sat and the battery drained overnight. The next day I jump started the and it started fine, I went to the parts store and bought an new barrel lock and tumbler set. In my install of that I noticed the ignition switch activator was broken so I replaced that as well. So I have everything installed now, key turns great, everything dandy until I put what I believe is the key reminder switch. When I plug that back into the back of the lock barrel like its supposed to be then the key does exactly what it did before, and I am unable to remove the key this time because I have a brand new key and lock. Am I crazy? or could the reminder switch, or whatever it is be the real problem? Any help would be appreciated!

10

I have come to find out through more research that what I thought was the key reminder switch is actually the safety cable which also interlocks between the shifter. I did have the center console apart the other day to adjust the parking brake, I am going to investigate further.

I just dealt w this issue in a liberty,what does liberty have to do w sebring you ask? Dodge,chrysler,plymouth,and jeep use the SAME lock ignition parts behind the lock cylinder is a magnesium rod that interlocks w shift cable the end breaks off creating the issue you currently have chrysler wants you to buy a 754.00 column assembly,before tax and installation 1100.00 all said and done for a 2dollar part sad part is this part is not avail by it self. Contact me and i will walk you through how to fix it.

10

Thanks for the answer, I figured out what was happening, the shift boot was torn at the bottom and getting caught inside the cable interlock. I just cut the excess torn part of the boot off and TADA! issue fixed, but if I have any similar issues in the future I will refer to your answer as I know exactly what part you are talking about as i looked at while investigating possible causes. So the lesson for today kids is make sure your shift boot goes back to it proper position or else it will cause you lots of headaches.