is my resistor blower motor or switch messed up

35

Asked by Aug 01, 2013 at 11:20 PM about the 2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD

I have a 01 slt plus and i think my resistor has gone out i get in the car drive and i start
to feel air but when i stop it quits putting air out the switch says off and you can still turn
on the ac compressor because it makes a lot of noise its shot too it could be the switch
or the blower motor but if it was the motor it woudnt be putting air out

101,835

This applies to 1994 - 2001 1500 pick ups and may also apply to yours. The air dampers in the duct work is controlled by vacuum. If you have a vacuum leak the dampers may not operate properly at an idle but will partially open driving down the road. The vacuum is supplied to the air control assembly by tubing to the intake manifold. Inspect the vacuum line for leaks and cracks. There is also a check valve in that line. (Note direction of check valve before removing it for testing) Apply 8 inches of vacuum, with hand-held vacuum pump, to engine side of check valve. You should be able to pull air thru the valve. Apply vacuum to air control side of check valve. The valve should hold vacuum. If not replace the check valve. Check valve is connected to intake manifold with black vacuum supply line.

78,585

The fan should run even though you are not moving, turn on the key but do not start it, try each position on the blower motor switch and listen to hear different speeds as you move the switch, if you don't hear the fan check for a blown heater fuse, if fuse is good then you will have to check for power supply to and from the blower switch then through the resistor block and then to the blower motor. A wiring diagram would help with this, you might consider purchasing a good shop manual with wiring diagrams.

35

I thought that the switch was stuck on the second speed but i took the resistor out yesterday and im replacing it monday so yall dont think it is the resistor or the switch anyway thanks for your help

101,835

Oh it is very possibly the switch. But if you hear the fan blowing but its just not coming thru the proper vents then check into the vacuum issues. Hope this helps.