Hi everyone! Does anyone know how to change the transfer case motor in a 2001 Durango?

Asked by Feb 20, 2012 at 02:24 PM about the 2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD

Last winter my truck wouldn't come out of 4X4 suddenly.  It cycles the lights from 2wd to 4wd and then settles on 4wd and i can hear the transfer case making noise.  Th service 4X4 light stays on.  I think i need to change the t-case motor, but not sure how to do it.  Anyone have to do this before?

2,745

Have not done it but it should not be that difficult, if the 4x4 is rarely used it might get stuck and only needs to be lubed up. You can see where the wire goes to the motor and check if you think you can do it your self. Could be you need to drain the t-case before you take the motor out.

2,745

Also you might have to rock the truck back and forth to get it out of 4x4 specially if it is rarely used.

230

hi the dodges have full time 4wd thats how you can shift on the fly in the diferintal thers a fork that engages the fron t weels they still run at speed but no power is going nto the weels what hapens is the swiych wherever it is goes bad i think its in thh dif in otherwords somwhere the relay is bad i build custom driveshafts and every on of the dodges has nthis feature if the transfer case is making a noise it could be a couple of things

230

1 the transfer case is going bad becese of on and off gear slaming or 2 the driveshaft ujoints or ballstud and centering kit is bad take the front driveline out se if that works if not its internal driveshaftsuperstore.co

2,745

There are two different t-cases in the 2001 Durango and both have the switch in the dash. The NV233 or NV244, the NV 233 is a part time type while the NV244 is part time and full time type. They are both electronically controlled transfer cases and have electronic shift motor on the case that makes the shift. If there is any pressure on the case from the driveshafts they can ´t make that shift thats why you can check that by rocking the car back and forth to release that pressure. If the shift motor is rarly used it may get stuck and needs to be fixed or changed out. Since you have your service light on you should have it serviced or do it your self if know how.

230

theres no doubt that thers a switch problem what i was trying to adress was the noise he was hearing\

2,745

That could be from the motor trying to shift but unable to the question is why.