I have a battery drain and I can't spot the problem
I have a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD / 5.9L engine. For weeks, I have had
to disconnect my battery while I leave the car overnight. Something is killing
the battery and I have tried checking for lights staying on (dome lights, glove
compartments, doors, etc). I would try the fuses but even though I can't
identify them, I have pulled them off and they seem fine. Any ideas??
If you have an amp meter, disconnect the positive battery terminal and hook up the amp meter between the battery and the cable with it set on amps at a low setting. If there is a drain, then go inside and pull fuses until you find which circuit the drain is on. A helper will make it go a lot faster. A battery that is at the end of its life span could also be the problem.
Your computer may draw a few milliamps which is normal.
I actually got this battery about 8 months ago. I got it tested by the auto parts store and told me that it was fine. They also told me that I may have a drain on the battery, due to a "short" in the system. I do have an amp meter, but I heard that it's safer to test this with the negative cable. Does that matter?
Either cable is fine. I was looking for one of these and finally found one which I may have to buy --- http://www.amazon.com/ESI-303B- Fuse-Buddy-Adapter/dp/B000TQ15E0
These could also be helpful --- http://www.amazon.com/GTC- CT6100-Fuse-Socket- Connector/dp/B001TCXOTW/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_3? ie=UTF8&refRID=1FVPP1BSECEZ2BSHJ2A2
I'm gonna try that. However, I think I may start checking with my meter today. One last question: Should my power windows still work when I pull the key out of the ignition?
Not sure on a Dodge but my Fords will work until I open the door and my Subarus will not work at all unless the key is on.
Keep in mind that your amp meter can probably only measure a large amp draw for a short period of time before it over heats.
How much would you say it's a large amp draw? And which settings should I use??
I would check your owners manual. Yours is rated for ten amps but I would guess that would be just for a few seconds. If you don't have a manual you probably can download one.
I would start with the meter on the highest amp setting and turn it down until I get a reading if any. Again, check your owners manual for recommendations. I have different meters so I can't say for sure.
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will come back to this forum to post my findings and results. Have a great day!
2000 durango, same issue. Not sure why, but the power amp under the dash on the passenger side is so hot you can't hardly touch it. We've disconnected the power amp and that took care of the drain. We noticed two things, 1. Front speakers stopped working. 2. Battery was dead over night. Not sure why the amp is not turning off and why it is getting so hot, but its something to look at for people with this issue. Pull the plastic on the passenger side under the dash and see if your amp is hot. If it is, then for some reason its not turning off. Just haven't figured out why yet.
I had the same issue hook a volt meter up to your positive and negative battery terminals disconnect the power lead to the under hood fuse box should be a 13 mm nut and pull fuses and relays one at a time and watch the meter voltage will continue to drop until you pull the right one the voltage will jump to normal this works best with a new battery mine ended up being the power seats draining the battery hope this helps
Looking for a Used Durango in your area?
CarGurus has 24,131 nationwide Durango listings starting at $1,500.
Search Dodge Durango Questions
Dodge Durango Experts