why does my car squeals when i turn the steering wheel

40

Asked by Feb 18, 2014 at 03:37 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible

i have a 2002 chrysler sebring convertible and when ever im driving at a low speed to turn a corner or turn in/ out of a parking space theres a squealing/creaking nose. ive already checked the power steering fluid and the liquid is at the FILL line and i just replaced the struts in may of 2012

55

Power steering pump is low on fluid or pump is going out.

1,845

The belt is doing it

1,845

What engine do you have in it?

40

it a 2.7 liter

40

is it a specific belt thats doing it

1,790

if your p/s fluid is full then it is possible that the p/s belt is loose.

1,845

You have 2 belts a serpentine belt and 2nd one exclusively for the power steering pump that needs to be tightened

1,790

is your fluid full, if so then tighten the belt

1,790

also since you mentioned going in and out of your drive way the noise is it from the front or the rear of the vehicle, in the rear the upper control arm bushings can be real noisy.

4,075

I have a similar problem with my 06 touring. It is definitely a suspension creak in front, it happens at low speed when the car bobs slightly. Dealer and shop can't pinpoint it, it stops in winter. I think it's bushings too.

Lower ball joints my 2000 did the same thing till I replaced them

90

i bought a used 2002 sebring i know 1st mistake however i have a metal type grind/squeak in front i pulled wheel found that the brake retainer clip is missing ,also i have hard steering until it warms up any ideas on that oh also it seems to stop in the cold

My 2001 does it too. It is like a creaking door. 10,000 miles ago I changed rack, all control arms & ball joints, bushings, tie rods. Pr4etty much everythin, including strut bushings. I did not change struts, but I do not think that is it. Before rack had come loose and only 1 bolt was holding it. Would a loose mounting of rack make that noise?

90

hey all you sebring drivers had my car inspected and alined under a 100 miles the wheel fell off was the lower control arm how they miss it idk but the squeak is gone

90

about power steering i found out today that the 2002 uses atf 4 tranny fluid i was flushing mine and replacing with preston but seems to be worse that was the clear kind so going to reflush with the atf and will update

90

i would think the rac would make all kinda problems but missing bolts i never thought of that will have to look at mine thanks

10

First check tire pressure, low pressure puts more stain on all streering parts. Next don't try to turn wheels sitting still, move the car frontwords or back just a tiny bit. Last check or have the belt tension tested and checked for wear.

10

Have an 04 sebring that makes these noises. Today while driving my front passenger locked. Upon inspection it looked normal. Took off again heard loud pop. Something ate through my rim and tire leaving tire on inside of rim

96 sebring convertible while driving or sitting still it makes a loud horn sound under the right front wheel. Now it is getting when it sounds at a longer length of time. Thought it may have something to do with air conditioning but I turned it off and it still did it. Anyone have any idea what this may be

155

Its the lower control are's ball joint. At bottom of steering knuckle. New arms, 50 to 125 each. Thats all it is.